Spindrift 10

dfitchtx

Hi, 

I just redesigned a Marconi rig to a Balanced lug for the sharpie I just completed.  Rather than starting to figure out the relationship between CE and CLR for the boat and changing it,  I drew up a balanced lug with  the same CE (in the vertical location)  as the original sail.  Here are my suggestions based on what I did, and it did result in a balanced sail plan that sails quite well.

1. On a scaled drawing draw the mast and the triangular sail.  I suggest you use 2 inches to the foot for your 10' Spindrift so small errors in drawing and measurements won't cause problems. I used the standard scale of 1" to the ft because my boat was 21ft.  

2. Then draw a line perpendicular to the mast roughly where the hull starts (or even better draw the entire hull to scale).  

3. Find the CE of the original sail draw a vertical line down to the "hull."  This is your starting diagram. 

4. Now you can try out different sail patterns for the balanced lug.  Calculate the CE for each design and place it (or draw it) on your starting diagram.  The goal is to make sure the CE of the balanced lug lines up anywhere on the vertical line or the original CE of the triangular sail. 

5. You should also use the scaled drawings to calculate sail area.  The total area of the balanced lug should be about the same as the area of the triangular sail, unless you consciously decide to make it bigger or smaller (bigger means more powerful and maybe difficult to sail, and smaller means you won't be sailing as fast)

If you don't know how to calculate the CE of a sail, most books on sailmaking describe how to do this.  Your local library should have some of the standard books on this.  I used The Sailmaker's Apprentice by Emiliano Marino. 

Finally, I suspect you will probably be making your own sails.  If so, I suggest you start with the much less expensive Polytarp sails.  This will let you experiment with different designs at a minimal cost.  If the first one doesn't work out you won't feel like you have wasted a lot of $$ on a dacron sail. 

Tom 

• 2 years later...