Moving the boat on the trailer

Chas231

It''s about time to move the boat out from under the house and onto the trailer. The boat had turnover frames for the two previous moves, so attaching casters to roll it out was easy. Without the turnover frames, I can set dollies under the stern without a problem, but the angle of the bottom at the bow is problematic. Would a roller under the keel work? I could just keep adding rollers as it moves forward. Any structural issues with this method?

After it is out from under the house I'm considering hiring a local boom truck to lift it high enough to roll the trailer under it.

Any alternative ideas will be appreciated!

Chuck Smith

Chuck,

There is always a way to do things. 

Here is one way.  Get a dolly, or maybe two, from Harbor freight and place under the keel aft of where the keel runs level.  These dollies are cheap and useful for moving many things.  The keel is strong enough to take the load even if the support is concentrated in one spot.  Chines are strong enough to take high loads also.

As to getting on the trailer, sawhorses, hydraulic jacks, timbers and ingenuity can prevail.  I have taken 4500# sailboats on and off trailers in like fashion singlehanded.  If there are a pair of trees or other strong supports around, a nylon lift sling (also Harbor Freight) plus a couple come-a-longs is ideal.  That, plus a pair of sawhorses under the stern is how I take LIZ on and off the trailer for bottom painting in my boathouse.  I'll be glad to discuss details on the phone if you like.

Thanks Tom. Great advice. Got the boat winched out far enough to remove the temporary floor. Forward motion went smoothly; crabbing it sideways on the soft weathered strand board more difficult. Next step will be getting it lifted onto the trailer.

Chuck

post-4417-0-50008300-1434711447_thumb.jpg. (Sorry for the upside down pic!)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I do this a lot, having a buddy with a mobile 100 ton crane. No muss, no fuss, just a quick "snatch and jerk", usually taking only a few minutes doing the deed. I moved a sailboat a few years ago and had to clear a tree line to get it off the cradle and on the trailer. Ed (my crane guy) had it done in 10 minutes and then we need to drag the mast out of the barn. It was a heavy alloy thing and I wasn't looking forward to dragging this puppy 75' to the trailer, so he just swing the 100' boom around and snatched it up, me walking it from behind and neatly placed it on the sailboat's deck. Yep, slicker than frog snot on a hot rock. Everyone needs a friend with a 100 ton crane. Lastly, it's  a lot cheaper than you might think, considering the ease and safety you can get from it too.

Most areas will have a few mobile crane operators available and it's not a lot of money for the smaller rigs. I would guess retail for less than a 100 ton, would be in the $200 to $400 range for a few hours (3) of work. A backhoe or front end loader can do. My neighbor has a fork and bucket attachment for his John Deer, which has worked fine many times too.