New sail track

Designer

I had a thought last night.  About a year ago I saw at the B&B sight a very elegant soft hatch cover using very expensive tracks and cars.  Very very nice though.  However if you used the new sail track and the slugs, one could make a very nice soft hatch cover.  As with the other design it would need battens. It could be designed with a little overhang on the sides and zip on the interior, also on the sides.  The slug would allow it to slide forward without blowing away.  It would require a good cover maker to help with design.

Does this idea have any merit or has it been tried in the past?  Please let me know what you think?

• 1 month later...

Randy, 

The first run of the new track is being extruded, cut, drilled, countersunk and anodized at this moment. It is due to be delivered in just a few weeks. We have quite a few builders anxiously awaiting it's arrival. We will certainly announce it's arrival when we have it.

-Alan 

• 1 month later...

We have good news. The aluminum extruders promised that the sail track would be shipped on October 9. We just got a call today that it would be shipped tomorrow. For everyone waiting for it and especially those wanting to sail their new boats at the Messabout, we expect it to be delivered by the middle of next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Very happy to report that the new sail track works splendidly! We sprayed a thin coat of Harken sail track slick-em we had laying around, and the main will fall on it's own weight, just a few little tugs on the luff to flake it and all is good.

Fighting the sail cover tho...... Joe is the man! I am making mine similar to his design. I did mention the Messabout was R&D time. Research and Duplicate