Trailer

Doug Stark

I am looking for recommendations on brand(s) and configuration for a trailer for my soon-to-be-completed CS17.  I've been told to buy 'big tires' and configure rollers along the center to support the keel with side boards lightly touching the hull.  Any input would be appreciated.

I bought a trailer that was made for a 14' skiff.  Since my CS17 didn't have a big outboard motor hanging off the back the trailer for the shorter powerboat was about right.

If you call around asking about trailers for sailboats you may have a little trouble.  When boat trailer people hear "sailboat" they often hear "fixed keel" and that complicates the conversation.  If you just say you've got a 14' skiff with a shallow vee to the bottom you'll get what you need (as long as the position of the axle and bow chock are adjustable).

I slid the post that held the bow chock forward as far as possible without interfering with my ability to turn, then I moved the axle so it would sit under the center of the boat.  Then I put the boat on the trailer and adjusted the axle position so I had the right amount of weight on the trailer tongue.  It would have been a little easier to adjust the position of the bow chock rather than the axle, but I find that a shorter wheel base makes it easier to maneuver around boat ramps and such.

I intended to buy an aluminum trailer but by the time I got to the yard to buy it the last aluminum one was gone.  I asked a few questions and found that the steel and aluminum trailers of that particular brand had the same suspension on them so I consoled myself with the thought that the heavier trailer frame would make for a smoother ride for my boat.  I launched and retrieved the boat without ever putting the trailer in the water so I think it was overall a good thing that I saved the extra $200 by buying steel.

I liked the full size tires and I set the rollers and bunks up as you suggest.

I bought a trailer that was made for a 14' skiff.  Since my CS17 didn't have a big outboard motor hanging off the back the trailer for the shorter powerboat was about right.

Yeah, I bought a trailer for a 12-14 foot boat for my 15'-8" Lapwing for the same reason.  These boats are really light, so the lighter springs on the smaller trailer are more in line as well.