Spray Skirt for Ravenswood

mfrankel

For my Ravenswood, I purchased a custom skirt from Seals (sealsskirts.com). It is an Adventurer nylon model; but, I believe that you can order any of their models. I had to order it thru the local retailer (Campmor, in this case), as Seals does not sell directly to the public. I sent  a tracing of the coaming to Seals. It cost the same as the Seals pre-sized skirt and fits perfectly.

Fair winds, Andy

Okay. Basically it goes like this.

You measure the circumference of your coaming. Then the circumference of your chest about sternum level. Tie a string around your torso about where you measured. Then, sit in your boat and measure from the back of the coaming to the string tied around your chest. Lean WAY back and measure from the front of the coaming to the same string, but in the front.

Do a little math, draw some curves, make some seam allowances, make a pattern and cut it out. Trace the pattern onto a piece of folded coated nylon, and stitch up the front. Fold over and stitch drawstring tubes at the top and bottom, feed the drawstrings through and toggle them, sew on some webbing with buckles to attach the suspender straps, which you also make with nylon web and buckles.

Takes an hour or two and costs for materials are pretty low.

Everyone here knows how hard sewing really isn't after all, right? :)