VARDO Photo

nub

I took my newly completed VARDO out today on a nearby lake.  It is stable, very roomy and tracks well.  Turns are slow as expected in a long kayak.  I stacked a 1" foam pad with a Thermarest pad for my seat, reasonably comfortable.  This is a nice kayak for lake cruising.

post-4692-0-88434400-1430265793_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I am totally open, I think VARDO is to large. It is really a touring boat size and I have long wanted to lower the volume on it. But a lot of people are scared of a small kayak and think they will get trapped inside, when in fact it is hard to stay in.  So I have left it alone.

I appreciate Jeff's wise safety reminder.  Here is a shot of my Thermarest Ridgerest pad in place, put over a piece of 3/4" foam under my seat.  You can cut the Thermarest pad to fit.  The footrests and floatbag are seen forward.  I have used this simple system in my other SOF kayak and like it.

post-4692-0-80667000-1433426946_thumb.jpg