cockpit hatch hinge configuration

IsZataRock

I should know better than to question Graham's excellent design. But I wonder if it would be ok to position the cockpit locker hatch hinges to be vertical when the lid is down rather than horizontal as shown in the drawing. That would get the hinge off the top of the seat which might be as bit more comfortable, look a little better, and improve security should I ever want to lock my locker. I don't see much of a down side except the need to tweak the position of the fixed hinge block slightly and add aanother 1/8" to the back of the seat opening.

Does this question make sense without a picture or drawing?

The question is reasonable I think I get it but I am not tracking with your proposed location as an improvement in areas you mention....looks, comfort, security. If I hear you right you are proposing the hinge be on the short Side of the seat top hatch outboard to onboard if you will.

The current placement of the hinge in drawings ends up so it is far back enough that it is almost under the side deck, therefore you are not really sitting on it whereas you would be in your new position.....plus less support potentially with a smaller hinge.

Don't get it.....

I considered it on my build, but by the time I succeeded in getting that excellent but complex hatch ring, I am totally satisfied! I am going with some hinges I had, so won't be piano type hinges. The piano hinge look like branding irons mid August at 3 pm down on the south coast!

I believe what you are proposing is locating the hinge in the standard location but with the screws down inside the slot so when the seat is closed all you would see is the round part of the hinge. Like a door hinge. Unless you are able to remove the pin from the hinge I do not see how you could locate and attach the screws. As far as security goes if someone is determined and prepared enough to remove screws from your hinges they would likely find another more destructive method of entry if it was not possible to remove the hinges.

I did go to the trouble of recessing my seat hatch hinges and rounding the corners so the flat part of the hinge is more or less flush with the seat top.

You guys are great!  Quick and helpful responses. Joe has it right: hinge down in the slot with only the round part visible when the hatch is close.  

Yes, locating the screws would be much harder.  And, if messed up, the hatch might either bind up when opened or, worse, fit poorly.

On the other side, I understand that the hinges are not terribly obtrusive.  Countersinking them seems smart.  Hopefully, the bright finish will keep them from getting too hot in the sun.

I'll put it on the "to be considered later" list to bury the hinge plates in the slots.  Meantime I'll stay with the plan.  It can't be anywhere as uncomfortable as the slde rail on my Hobie 16 trampoline.

Hal

I think Joe's idea of flush mounting the hinges is a good idea,  if the desire was to hide the hinges a tape could be put over the now flush hinge legs and all that would be visible was the actual "knuckle" of the hinge.  A piano hinge doesn't require much maintenance, and it's screw heads would be "gone".   I am not putting latchs on the locker tops, I have epoxyied a small wooden loop inside the tops, and with some small fairleads, have run some 3/16 line into the cabin that has a tiny jam cleat.  When trailering I will secure the hatches by cleating the lines in the cabin.  I am also a clumsy bear and I bang my ankles on any protruding hardware, less expensive too! 

I don't frankly understand the last few posts. I see no issue with piano hinges personally but I am interested in methods of tying down ( latching) the seat hatches and aft and foreward deck hatches as I am doing those pieces in next few days and don't really know the best low profile, effective method.

Any pictures you have would be appreciated. Time do do that last 1%..

post-3404-0-25540000-1429750694_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-11514500-1429750748_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-36672200-1429750800_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-11353600-1429750836_thumb.jpg