Messabout in Frame

cedarcroft

I have been building, in desultory fashion, one of Jeff's Messabout designs.  I have built boats over the last few years but this is my first with lashed frame and will be my first with a sewn skin.  New skill sets!

Anyway, today was a big day:  the frame is finished, off the strongback, and outside where the oil can dry.

post-4868-0-44406000-1429569621_thumb.jpg

The stringers are Sitka spruce and the floors are clear Western Red Cedar.

post-4868-0-63426800-1429569728_thumb.jpg

Got the foot braces mounted today and another coat of oil on the frame.

I was thinking about the seat back for the Messabout.  Given the boat is intended for "messing about in," seems like a little taller seat back--something you could really relax into--would be desirable.  Particularly with the low aft deck of the Greenland-style boats, the normal back band ends up hitting pretty much at the small of your back.  Nothing for upper back support.  Here's my other Greenland kayak (a Tom Yost design) and while it's fun to paddle, I'm looking for something a big more comfy!

At the same time, I don't want to ruin the "look" of the boat, as I think a big, plastic SOT-style seat would do.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I'd be particularly interested if someone has done something in wood.

post-4868-0-84323300-1429651630_thumb.jpg