Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)
Pete McCrary

Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Regarding placement of the mast retaing bolt.  I'm not sure, but I think both Jay and Chick have sliding hatch covers for their forward cabin hatches.  That allows the hatch opening to be much closer to the tabernacle and easier for the skipper to reach the bolt-end sticking out into the anchor well while holding the mast upright with one hand.  I tried that (in the shop during construction) from the hatch opening further aft (I.e., with a forward edge at Blk #2) -- it was possible, but not easy.  Also, with a bulkhead-mounted bolt two slots need to be cut into the mast -- a bit harder than one thru the wooded bulkhead.  However, that said, if I had the hatch up close to the tabernacle, I would probably go for the bolt on the bulkhead.

Q:. Where to stow the Boat Hook?  A:. Within easy reach from the cockpit.

Here's what I did:

image.thumb.jpeg.b8e13ca3fbcf811036ebb2f25e506489.jpeg

The cutout is just over a "half-circle."  With a little flexibility [in the wood]] and a little trimming with a file -- the plastic & rubber ends of the Boat Hook "snap" nicely in place.  Secure but easily removed.

image.thumb.jpeg.5903dd559936e3255487dc45dc05cd54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b5ca644abe81af675272ce29357308a.jpeg

I'd say it's pretty much out of the way and easily accessible.  Don't have to open a hatch or go below.  However, easily pinched in a parking lot.  But it's not "high value" like a cell phone or GPS device.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ec971a6db0e5733bf734407149c9be2.jpeg

Solution for car park thieves - what you can't chain and lock goes below or in lockers in transit and is mounted before launch. At least that is my approach.

I wouldn't worry about boat hook thieves. Outboards, inflatables, trolling motors, etc. are the things that tend to get stolen. I know someone that lost his Laser sail once, though I suspect the thief was a Laser skipper, needing a sail and took an opportunity, when it came up. It was nice sail, though worn out according to the owner, so the thief got what he deserved. Lastly, thieves steal what looks good and appears easy to get, so some well placed paint drips, ugly handles, etc. can go a long way to making things less appetising. The sight of a padlock can also deter the casual thief. It doesn't have to be locked, just visible, with the side the bale slides into hidden somehow.

Here are some photos of Chessie on the water taken by a fellow boater from his slip at the Sweenen Point Marina on the Potomac's Mattawaoman Creek.  Persons aboard are myself, my son Jim and daughter-in-law, Patricia and sailing friend John Zohlen.  One really needs a chase boat and or telephoto lense to get good photos of boats on the water.  Anyway, here are the pixs:

image.jpeg.d9b177175c4e8a11bb6e2585f4e95296.jpeg image.jpeg.bd3e201804f44fa7afa1e63f8aff9a6d.jpeg

image.jpeg.ade3ab25f7a75fa8bdb824496c87f920.jpeg image.jpeg.2ba403845c26fa506fd53339ee6b0eb5.jpeg

image.jpeg.375ca660fb13f9240fb247c863bc14b7.jpeg

Maybe I'll be able to get some more at the MASCF.  I'm presently planning to arrive (with Chessie) on Thursday afternoon, and hopefully, participate in the sail-over to Wye Island.

Pete, the pics look great. I'll have my SP there and if I can keep up, I'll take pictures. I've volunteered to put the presentation for the awards Saturday night together so I'll have good camera equipment. As soon as Pete Lesher put out the email for the "Wye Island Gunkhole" I'll see you get a copy. I am pretty sure there is a short skippers meeting and a small collection of funds (5 or 6 bucks to camp) and then its off to Wye Island. I believe the meeting may be at noon or 1 pm. You would want to have your boat rigged by then. It's great fun sailing out together. I am going down on Wednesday. If I get an early start I will get the boat in the water Wednesday, but if not launch Thursday morning. Excited you are coming. See you soon.

Great news. Will you be sailing out to Wye Island? Are you camping at the museum?

Look for me on WildCat, my Sea Pearl. Next year I'll be bringing "Jazz Hands". I've never sailed on a Core Sound anything, but have sailed with them many times. I'll be looking over the rigs more than usual this time.

Hi Steve, I'm planning to camp at the museum, but I won't make the Wye Island trip this year.

Bob

I managed to get a few more things done for Chessie:

image.thumb.jpeg.8b8dd5af42bdc00d05ba46d347cda160.jpeg

Here's a little Tach & Hour meter.  The pickup is just a small wire wrapped (~ 4 turns) turns around the spark plug cable.  You can see the other end at lower left on the meter.  No external power required.  I'm told that there's an internal battery (power for low-drain liquid crystal display) with > 10 yr life.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac338050ca49000b79011f026dc10fa.jpeg

A small Ritchie hand-held compass mounted on a bracket just held on the mizzen partner by friction.

image.thumb.jpeg.e966ed1bbdb21c04f71dd58e0f9d6f18.jpeg

Proof of concept cabin shelf dry-fitted on the port side.  I had a similar shelf on Tattoo -- and it was very convenient and didn't get in the way.  My 3-day cruise at the MASCF will be the real test.

image.thumb.jpeg.79c19ffbaaf9c684a732a0f61169c95e.jpeg

Chessie is now sporting her "badges."  They still need several more coats of clearcoat.

Hope to see some of you at the MASCF.  I hope to arrive there Thursday afternoon.  Probably won't do the Wye Island trip this year.  Maybe next year.