Panda AntiVirus for SMB and solo-preneurs (affiliate link)
Pete McCrary

Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

609 posts in this topic

Pete, 

The boat looks great. Thanks for posting the pictures. The rudder fit in the cockpit well was just a happy accident. My Dad and I always trailered our CS-20 with the rudder off the boat but it is such a pain in the rear. Graham has taken to leaving his rudder on all the time on Carlita also because he has the boomkin which provides some extra protection and something to lash to. On my CS-17 I also not leave the rudder up full time and put an extra "safety" line around the rudder and up to the top of the lowered masts. 

Pete, she looks awesome. You should be proud! I can't wait to see it a the MASCF. I won't have mine done by then, but I'll be there and look forward to seeing Chessie and hopefully getting a sail. When the weather is right we sail out to Wye Island on Thursday and sail back Friday morning. Keep that in mind.

My canvas shop made a canvas "sleeve" for the rudder with webbing loops that I can wrap around the thwart.  Once I'm satisfied with "Chessie's" sailing setup, I'll rig that for road transport and driveway storage.  But in my garage the rudder has to be removed in order to have the whole rig inside.  However, that should be infrequent.

BTW, overnight I decided not to rush things -- so I'm skipping the SWS cruise next week.

Steve,...  We'll definitely get in some sailing with you and others at the MASCF in October.  But Annie will probably be with me and we'll [both] be bunking at a B & B -- which would rule out camping on Wye Island.

15 hours ago, Thrillsbe said:

For the record-- a winch is a nautical device used for the purpose of mechanical advantage.  A wench is a nautical person of female persuasion of which one attempts to take advantage. 

LOL :lol:

3 hours ago, Pete McCrary said:

Steve,...  We'll definitely get in some sailing with you and others at the MASCF in October.  But Annie will probably be with me and we'll [both] be bunking at a B & B -- which would rule out camping on Wye Island.

I get it, but didn't you build a boat with two bunks? My Sea Pearl only sleeps one, so a big part of building the CS is so I can bring her. But who knows if she will actually come with me once I finish it.

Yes, but for the last 40 years, Annie doesn't go on the water, even for a short day-sail..  That's why I make everything work solo.  My overnight crews have [so far] always been teenage grandchildren with the understand that they will promptly obey every polite request, rude demand, etc. with no questions asked.  From watching my grandchildren in the presence of their parents -- I just can't trust the pre-teens to understand how important that is.

Getting close!! Pete, this is how we have been carrying our rudder on our boat.  You have the vertical support tube, I figured may as well have it do double duty!

IMG_0029.JPG