Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Pete McCrary

My sailing friend and neighbor, Henry, and I installed the cockpit seat back this afternoon.  Outside temps in the sixties.  Our last chance for epoxy work before a week or so of cold weather.  These seat backs (also inboard support for the coamings) are the last structural members required in building the boat !!!!   A major milestone.  A very good feeling.  Here are a few pixs:

image.jpeg

Dry-fitting the seat backs.

image.jpeg

Blocking under the coaming caps for easier attachment of deck fittings.

image.jpeg

The blocking only extends about 2/3rds the way forward from the transom.image.jpeg

The final glueing of the seatbacks to the coamings.

image.jpeg

Now, all must be trimmed, filleted, and prepped for the trip to the paint shop for two primer coats of AWLGRIP 545.  Maybe by the end of next week.  Then fitting out, maiden voyage, et cetera.  So far, it's been 21 months of construction.

If Frank is viewing: How do I edit before posting?

1 minute ago, Pete Mc said:

Outside temps in the sixties.  Our last chance for epoxy work before a week or so of cold weather..............................If Frank is viewing: How do I edit before posting?

Looking good.

You can epoxy in any temperature, just that it takes longer cure as temp goes down.  If you have to wait for weather to work, I do, so I am familiar with this, you can wait for the epoxy to cure at the same time.  When in doubt, I leave a little of the epoxy I used on a piece of cardboard or such next to the boat so I can check on the cure before removing clamps.

Edit before posting?  You can add, subtract, erase at any time until you like what you got.  But I just noticed there is no way to see what your post will look like before posting.  Is that what you meant?

Pete, that looks awesome. Your pictures have been quite a help. I'm sort of in uncharted territory sorting out my cabin construction. I decided to stay productive so I'm working on the hatches this weekend. I took advice and taped them together and went "aha".

I did lay down on my newly installed bunk tops and decided the width was a bit small. I made a filler board and added cleats so I could sleep head forward. It's luxury now. I plan on doing the same for the space between the rowing seat and the mizzen mast thwart so I can sleep under the stars in the spring and fall or sleep more than two and I'll also have a place for my dog Josie to ride. She's a good passenger when she can see, but a pain when she can't.   

Steve,...

I, too, plan to bunk "head forward."  But with 3" cushions that are beveled to the hull sides, I think the top surface will be wide enough for comfort.  But tomorrow three of my four kids (the youngest is now 53) and the in-laws will be here to help their old man celebrate his 83rd -- and I'll recruit the tallest (6' 4") to try out the bunk spaces in various configurations.  Photo recording it all.  If it seems advisable, I'll fabricate a temperary filler board to see how that works.  I definitely need a comfortable space for rest and sleep when cruising.

The last structural elements for "Chessie" (the cockpit seatbacks) are now inplace and trimmed.  Looks like a real boat.  Just in time to show off to the kids.  I still need to roundover the edges to a 3/8" radius.

image.jpeg

Next week I'll be getting her ready for the paint shop.

Chick,...

There's a channel on each side outboard of the companionway coamings (not yet installed) -- which channels drain forward to P & S limber holes.  If the boat is tilted bow up, there is also drainage into the cockpit.  I won't install the companionway framing and coamings until after the primer coats are on.  These surfaces will be masked off from the primer so the framing may be glued to surfaces just having epoxy [on them].

Steve added a filler plank at the forward end of the cabin sole to increase the width of the cs20.3 bunks.  I was inclined not to ... but decided to have son, James, stretch out on the bunk to actually see if it would be OK for his 6' 3" size.  He said for "camping out" it was OK, but suggested a trapezoidal box between the bunks.  So, that's what I'll do.  The box will be light-weight and serve double duty as a convenient (portable) container for toiletries.  Here are a few pixs:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The sitting-headroom is close, but I think this cabin will be comfortable with some compromises for a solo crew.  A crew of two would have to like each other a whole lot.

With a boom tent and filler boards aft of the bridge deck -- sleeping in the cockpit would be [for me] preferable.

I added a removable filler to give a bit more shoulder room. It,along with it's cushion, can rest against the hull side to provide a seat back when sitting up below. My cushions are made up of a 2'' layer of a stiff foam, bonded to a 1" layer of regular urethane foam. I didn't taper the sides to meet the slope of the hull.

DSCN2054.JPG

I used 4" firm foam on my Renegade.  It was great for seats, but too firm for sleeping.  I like the laminated idea Chick.  Bevelling the outboard edge where applicable adds surface making it very desirable in small boats, heck, even big ones.  Nice work there Chick.

Gosh, thanks y'all. 

I like the tray-attach-to-the-tiller idea, Steve. Gotta do double and triple duty on small boats.

I thought about beveling the cushion, but the added cost for my cushion guy wasn't worth it. Besides, my cushions are designed to turn over if they ever get "messed up" on the top. The zippers are all on an edge to allow flipping. Ya don't lay all the way to the inside edge, anyway. Unless your body has "square corners"...

I still haven't decided how I want to finish the sole. I kinda like plain old piece of fuzzy carpet. it feels good on my tired old footsies.

9 minutes ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Gotta do double and triple duty on small boatI thought about beveling the cushion, but the added cost for my cushion guy wasn't worth it. Besides, my cushions are designed to turn over if they ever get "messed up" on the top.

I cut all the foam for my cushions on my Renegade with an electric carving knife and sent them out for covers.  At $10 I bought it as a one use tool   I can't argue with the flipping logic.

One advantage to not beveling cushions is, they can be flipped side to side if the seating is symmetrical (as mentioned). I use to have a small cruiser where all the cushions were beveled and fitted to their spaces. It use to drive me nuts putting them in their exact locations, as some were nearly the same shape and size, making figuring it out where they lived, without some sort of tag, a pain in the butt. As far as soles are concerned, I dislike carpet of any kind, just a moisture trap. I prefer wooden slats, but some of the "anti-fatigue" mats, like the ones I have on the shop floor look to make nice, inert, soft sole padding.

A long time ago, I had some cockpit cushions made for my Catalina 27.  They were done by a professional.  He told me that he used "marine foam" for them.  The feel was different than average foam. I didn't ask for details, but I wish I would have.  Those were the best cushions I've ever had.  Ask around.