Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Pete McCrary

Today "Chessie" CONSTRUCTION is COMPLETED !!  Every big & little thing that has to be fabricated, assembled, glassed, epoxied, etc., has now been done.  There remains only:

-- clean, dust, vacuum, shop.

-- prep & paint (or varnish) SHEERSTRAKES, COCKPIT, CABIN ROOF, hatch & garage tops, and drop boards -- and then

-- install & bed prefabricated toe & rubrails, four portholes, and

-- reinstall & bed hatch hinges, garage roof, companionway keepers, deck fittings and running rigging.

Electrical systems and 4 portholes will wait until after maiden voyage and a few "shakedown cruises."

Encouraging news. I am spending my time on the foredeck now. Fwd hatch coaming is glued in, main tabernacle is glued in and awaiting some glass tape reinforcing, then I can start building the main companionway sliding hatch and rails.

No, not this year, Chick.  My plan is to join the Shallow Water Sailors (on the Chesapeake's Wye River) on 4/28-30.  But there's still a lot to do -- and she might not be ready.  We'll see.  I don't like pushing a deadline.  Maybe next year.  Where is the Appalachian Messabout held?  I'm planning to enter "Chessie" in this year's MASCF and B & B's October mess about.

Drew,...

I can't find my notes [yet], but my memory says ~ 33 lbs.. That seems about right because the lead weight is 18 lbs.

My shop is now all straightened out, swept, dusted as best I can -- but far from a high quality paint room.  But it will have to do.  I'll actually start sanding this afternoon.  Here are some pixs of the interior before vacuuming:

image.thumb.jpeg.a58ee81797153f0df3a03f53caba1ae3.jpeg

Base for battery & its hold-down bracket, battery protective cover, and Port-a-Potti in its stowed position under the bridge deck.  Note that the cabin sole has been removed during painting operations.

image.thumb.jpeg.a908dba8903f600682557b2f9d65f5ca.jpeg

Battery protective cover in place.  It's made of cheap 6 mm vernier ply.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca6c2aa5c911aff8b66b9e682b8ff5ea.jpeg

Companionway step in "transport" position constraining the Porta-a-Potti.  Note that when the cabin sole is in place, the step is about 3" higher and the potti can't fall out even with emergency braking.  Also note the yellow pine sil in the companionway.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e73dcd0f4d2ef40839ce736391f2ba1.jpeg

Companionway step in position for easy access to potti.  Note that the step can also be used as a stool in two stable positions and a third higher [but unstable] position.  When used as the companionway step [either high or low position] it is held fast with the brass hasps on each side.

image.thumb.jpeg.37e5723d7c47a6e59ffd42ee8f52f8c9.jpeg

A drawer and sliding shelf (port & starboard) provide easier (not easy) access to storage space.  When removed there is more storage under the drawers -- useful for stowage of water (in convenient blatters) and such.  The drawers are light-weight, made of 5/8" cedar sides and 4 mm bottoms.  Epoxied, but no glass.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fa4cf5c6c403887c59308106cf51d39.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.918a12a77892c84758bd17fd54c85159.jpeg

I kept thinking (usually at night) about a latching mechanism for the forward hatch.  Nothing I mentally designed seemed simple and easy to fabricate.  Then I remembered Graham's simple elastic latch for the cockpit lockers.  Took me about 5 minutes to put it all together.  The latch-pin is simply a #10 OHWS driven into the forward side of the Blk 2 roof beam.

Now -- I'm off to do at least SOME sanding before my afternoon nap.

Tonight, Suzie (our #1 daughter) and John (son-in-law) arrive to take delivery of my Penobscot 14 -- which I consider to be [so far] the prettiest boat that I've made.  It's a plywood lapstrake (Arch Davis design), has a lug rig and is a sweet rower with two rowing positions and 4 Sitka spruce hand-made ores.  Hate to see it go, but at least it's still in the family.

Thanks Pete. My CB is closer to 40 lb. Heavier than the design I guess but I ended up with a slightly larger  (heavier) lead tip and the board is laminated from fairly dense Pacific Maple. Your fwd hatch closure is basically what I am doing also, but I will use four elastic tie downs (we call them bungee cords) and I will use two lock pins to add extra security in the event of rough weather.

I was originally going to stow my porta-potti in the fwd locker (and still might by putting a large lid on the locker) but am concerned that the chemical smell will be way too close to the bunks. The alternative would be the aft locker port side. Here is a pic of my fwd hatch cover. I'm doing the main companionway sliding hatch the same way, with a slight curve to it. More pics later in my build thread. Thanks for your inside shots, they give me some good ideas.

Forard Hatch.JPG

Drew,...

The cabin "sitting-overhead" is so low [for me @ 72"] -- that about the only place the potti can be used is on the cabin sole.  When fresh & filled with water it weighs 28+ pounds.  Heavier, as it's used over a few days.  For this old guy, it would be very hard to lift it out of any top loaded locker.  So, for ease of use, I've made this arrangement:

image.jpegFor road-transport.  Companionway step in high-step position.  Note that the Porta-a-pottie is "locked" within the shelf under the bridge deck.  And the 3" cushions are inplace and removable drawers in the partially pulled-out position.

image.thumb.jpeg.4e95f5ca2f030a4a13a4f81edebb14ed.jpeg

Here the companionway step is rotated to its low-step position and the potti can be easily slid off onto the cabin sole.

image.thumb.jpeg.eda4b65b5c64f1d1de975a4dd4c25810.jpeg

There are no retainers on the edges of the bunks.  The cushions are shaped such that they are "wedged" against the sides of the boat and the fore & aft bulkheads (Blks 2 & 3).  They each have "no-slip" mats under them (like typically placed under rugs).

image.thumb.jpeg.0c49772186382f9b9adc3f67f5471f05.jpeg

Here the potti is placed in the "sailing" position.  At 28+ lbs it's pretty heavy and may need a hold-down strap.  I won't add that until it's obviously needed.  The [removed] small cushion can qualify as a Coast Guard approved "throw-cushion."  Note the cabin stool in position to stand on when the foreword hatch is used for anchoring.

image.thumb.jpeg.1eee1367c59051ff56f805266c86685e.jpeg

Potti ready for use on the cabin sole.  I've used that type of potti for several years with it stowed nearby (head and/or foot).  Never had a problem with offense odors.  But I never use it for urin and it's carefully cleaned and maintained.  Small amount of water with deodorant / disinfectant kept in it between cruises.

image.thumb.jpeg.165df9d97a7c84d4647a896be10f32ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9be166b6df18b061d7f6fd9f73d14a1d.jpeg

Note that the cushions "overhang" at the foreword end of the cabin sole.  There will be a small trapisodial box for support.  It will double as stowage for toiletries.

image.thumb.jpeg.baaf5dad1ad9a645fc80c7e29b4488a4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a32d37125f8effe62615742c0b90a69b.jpeg

These photos attempt to illustrate that the shelf (over the foreword locker) does not significantly interfear with access to the locker.  Before finalizing the shelf design, I fabricated a platform in the locker to accommodate a second battery.  After the shelf was installed I "dry-fitted" a battery successfully.  I'll probably never install a second battery.

I will mostly be sailing and cruising solo.  But if I have guests (grandchildren), the potti can be kept on its shelf under the bridge deck.  However, the bunks are 7' 6".  And even if the potti is in its "sailing" position, the bunk is still about 6' long -- enough except for a very tall teenager.  Of eleven grandchildren, 3 are already over six feet...

Here are some extra photos:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't know how the extra pixs came up at the end of the post.  I tried, but failed, to remove them with the editor.  Also, I tried to add a note at the end of the post to explain the extra pixs, but when saving the edited version, it wasn't included.  In other words, it seems that the editor didn't "edit"!

Pete,

A couple of things:

1. Who made your cushions. I like that layout.

2. Ever use wag bags? simpler and less messy than a porta pottie. I don't want to turn your thread into a bathroom discussion, so google it an you can find all you need to know. I have 2.5 gallon bucket and a snap on seat and wag bags. Been using that system for years and it is simple.

Take Care,

Steve

Galesville Yacht Canvas of Galesville, MD.  Vicki & husband John and helper Stacy.  I laid out the cushion outlines so that each had a wedge shape and the intersections didn't bisect any of the hatches -- such that access to any hatch only requires the lifting of just one cushion.  I also specified 3" cushions and that no "cording" be used, and that the outboard edges be tapered to the contoure of the hull.  As an aid I had already marked on the hull a "water" line just 3" above the bunks.

i haven't considered using wag bags.  I might though, if the port-a-potti gets too cumbersome.  The potti is mainly for emergency needs.  My one quart urinal and shore facilities are usually available with sufficient frequency.  These conveniences pretty much preclude any overnight female crew.

The two primer coats (545) have been on for about six weeks.  Today I managed to sand about 80% of the areas to be painted.  The sanding was a dusty mess -- although I wore a very effective mask with cartridge filters.  I just might get to apply the first coat of paint Wednesday or Thursday.  My plan is to apply white on cabin roof and Blk 3 (1st day); gray on cockpit deck & coaming and footwell (2nd day); and then green on the sheerstrake (3rd day).  Then repeat for the second (and hopefully) the last coat.  That schedule will allow about 3 days drying time between coats.  And if I'm not totally worn out, I might also get paint/varnish the hatches and bright work that aren't presently on the boat.

All sanding and putty patches finished -- but too late to start painting.  So, I tapered the fwd 21" on the RubRails:

image.thumb.jpeg.40c1b1b9c2a4789f649bd4e75a32a769.jpeg

Make-shift work bench -- two sawhorses, about 60 lbs of lead, and a few clamps.  Aft end showing.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad328b39d05da6bad240785457c0b82f.jpeg

Fwd end to be tapered from 3/4" thickness to about 7/16".

image.thumb.jpeg.0d78bd7a08fc619559611dfbfda9ca40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d1599ff310d0854bb1c26866f7dcabca.jpeg

Annie caught me at the end of a short stroke.  The "bench" was rock steady, but the plaining effort wore me out.  Now the Rails are ready for final trimming and varnish.  Any suggestions as how I could darken yellow pine before varnishing??