trailerability of a CS20 vs CS17

Pete Birch

I'm trying to decide between building a CS17 and CS20. Trailer ability is an important consideration for me and I wonder if folks owning a CS 20 find it an easy or difficult boat to trailer launch and retrieve? Can the job be handled by a single person?

Pete, I am currently building a CS20, but have not yet trailered the boat, so anything I might have to say specific to the Core Sound boats would be speculation. However, I have lots of experience trailering a 20 foot boat that is a little heavier than a CS20. Launching and retrieving the boat singlehanded has never been a problem, as long as the trailer is set up properly.

To me set up properly means:

*The trailer tongue is long enough and the trailer bunks low enough that the boat will float off/on the trailer while the vehicle wheels stay out of the water.

*The winch is easy to get to and strong enough to pull the boat up onto the trailer if needed. (no sweat for your average winch since the CS boats are light in weight).

*The bunks and rollers support the boat in a way that tend to center the boat on the trailer. I am considering adding boat guides to my CS20 trailer, since crosswind conditions are the most difficult to deal with.

I run bow and stern lines that are used to gently float the boat on and off the trailer. This keeps the boat under control even in a crowded launch site.

Pete,

My CS 17 is so easy to trial that I can hardly notice it behind my Subaru Outback. The CS 20 might be a little wider and require add-on mirrors, but I don't think there would be much difference.

I often launch off a causeway where the boat doesn't touch the water, even when the trailer is tipped. When the bunks were covered with carpet it took two of us to get the boat off or on the trailer.

I installed 5/8 inch plastic, similar to whats used for cutting boards, on the bunks and now it's very easy to launch or retrieve the boat myself.

I found that if I put the keel roller just under the water and hook up the winch the boat centers itself and comes right on the trailer.

Gordy, Pete,

Being recently married and an owner of a CS20, I can say with authority that yes, even a married person can handle the launch and retrieval single handed. (and Gordy before you ask, I do have two hands) I also coated my bunks with plastic and found that the boat slides both in and out of the water far better than with carpeted bunks. I used the commercially available plastic bunk covers that come in 2x4 or 2x6 sizing. Boat trailers like a dream behind my 1/2 ton pickup.

Pat