Ravenswood plans observations

chazwell

I've been working on a Ravenswood from plans for about a week now, basically just cutting the frames at this point.  A couple of questions have come up that I'd be interested in guidance on. 

- On the 13' 6" frame the lower inside angle of the cutouts for the gunwale stringers is drawn less than 90 degrees while the corresponding angles on the other frames is 90 degrees.  Is this correct/expected?  If so then the stringer needs to be shaped in that area to fit snugly.  If not then which leg of the drawn angle should be moved to bring it to 90?

- The bow and stern extension pieces are drawn to a quite sharp point at their respective ends.  This would seem to cause a puncture problem skinning the boat when working the fabric up from the bottom to the top at the very ends.  Looking at the pictures of the Ravenswood model featured on the website the bow (and I assume the stern as well) is clearly cut off round.  Although it's not explicitly stated is it expected that these ends should be rounded somewhat?  If so is there a recommended radius that makes skinning easier or is the "that looks about right" method good here?

Thanks for any information.

Just checked and your right about the 13.6 frame and I  fixed that.  Funny no one has every noticed, including me!  We have built a few of these in the classes so it obviously doesn't create a problem.  You can just square that up if you want too. Thanks for pointing that out too.

The bow and stern are intended to be pointed. It will take a lot more than you think to puncture the fabric and those ends are not going damage it.

The photo  you refer to was a customers boat and he chose to round the bow. Personally I don't like the way it looks but otherwise, it was such a great looking boat I asked to use the photo. I need a new photo because this comes up from time to time. When I cut the kits for my classes I will just break that corner with a rasp just so it is not sharp.  That way no one walks into it and stabs themselves. On my personal boat I lightly sand it and barely round over the ends.