Tabernacle

David Hughes

I'm thinking about the possibility of adding a tabernacle (or 2) to my CS 20. My goal here is to reduce set up time. Thinking about it, the longest time spent rigging and de-rigging the boat is bending the sails on. My sails are on a track and have full battens. That being said, I think I could lower the sails and then just fold them up and lash them to the mast. But doing so will add weight to an already tenacious mast stepping.

I bought the boat from Doug Cameron and Doug did provide the plans which do show a tabernacle option for the main mast but the details are lacking or I'm missing something. Is there an option for a Tabernacle for the mizzen? Has anyone utilized the tabernacle on the CS MK1? or better yet added one after the fact? Pictures would be great. Other options?

At this time, thinking is all I can do with 3 feet of snow still on the ground and this morning I woke up to 4 degrees outside. Sailing season can't come soon enough.

Thank you

Dave Hughes

Scarborough, Maine

CS20 #85

David, I'm a firm believer in tabernacles. I've had them on several boats, including having one on the mizzen of my P-22. I'm about to build a CS-17 Mk-3 with them on both masts. I'm sure that a call to Graham or Alan at B&B will produce plans for the main tabernacle which could also be used with some slight alteration on the mizzen.

I built the CS-20 Mk-2 with a main tabernacle and sail tracks with full battens, but never lowered the mast with the sails attached. I don't believe that the extra weight will be a problem. I talked to Alan about it awhile back, and he said that they lowered the rig in their Dawn Patrol. I intend to do the same on my 17. You could have a sail cover sewn up to protect the sail when trailering.

I'm sure others will comment here too. we're a very helpful, if not somewhat "opinionated" bunch, who love to help out "newbies". Welcome to the club! We'll look forward to watching and helping with your build.

Hi Chick, initially I am going to have the mizzen as drawn on my CS20MK3, but over time I think a mizzen tabernacle might be a nice addition.  Hope to install decks next work session so I am a ways from installation of the mizzen thwart.  Are you planning to leave your sails hanked on when you trailer?  Will the battens allow the sail to lay along side the mast when the masts are down?   A sausage sail cover from Sunbrella with straps to keep flutter  from abrading the sails when trailering?  Your thoughts?

Initially I have ordered sausage sail bags with a zipper on top that will hold the sails with battens installed after removing them from the mast. After I get the boat done and rigged, I'll try folding the sails up against the mast, and if that works without putting a lot of strain on everything, I may leave them in place and have covers made to go around it all. Alan thinks that will work.

The hardest part of rigging is getting the sails hanked on (Is "hanked' the right term here---anyway, you know what I mean.)---especially with the full battens. By-the-way, be SURE to file the corners of the sail track as Graham advises. Don't ask me how I know!!!

Are your masts going to be painted? If not, I'd be concerned with oxidation from the aluminum getting on the sails. I used Rustoleum to paint the masts on the first Summer Breeze and really liked it. It seems to stick well and is pretty durable. When it is damaged, it's much easier to touch up than two part poly.

As for a mizzen tabernacle, the reason that I'm using it is because I anticipate dropping the masts often for going under bridges. If you're only stepping the mizzen once before you launch, I'd just stay with a mast tube through the thwart as designed. Do add a guide to align the foot of the mast with the tube to make it easier to get it in. What I did on Summer Breeze worked well. I'll see if I've got a picture and post it here.  Well, couldn't find a pic.    Anyway, it was just a raised "stop" that you set the foot of the mast against to keep it from slipping forward as you push the mast up. It holds it in place until the mast is vertical and drops in the hole. I used a piece of p.v.c. tubing that fit the curvature if the mast attached to a wood block to support it. It was removable but I never took it off. I make it sound complicated but it's not.

Maybe someone else will jump in here. I know it's been talked about on the forum somewhere...

• Like 1

This spring I'll try folding the hanked on sails and lashing them to the mast to test the theory. I do have full battens. I do know this is what they do on the Norse boat 21; not sure the sails are full batten nor do I know if they use sail tracks or hops. I'll let you know how the experiment goes. Still 2 feet of snow though.

David,

I've got a CS17 with no tabernacles and un-battened sails, and a Belhaven 19 with tabernacles on both mast and battens in the sails. 

On the CS17: The sails get rolled around the mast which is really convenient and fast. The down side is you loose sail area and light air performance.  Additionally the wooden main mast with sail and boom weighing in at 34 pounds can be a handful when I'm wet and tired.  The mizzen is no problem and almost seems like a toy.  The main would be no problem if I switched to Aluminum.  More likely I will add a tabernacle to the main.

On the Belhaven: Tabernacles are so easy I can raise each mast with one arm but it helps to have a second person fool around with the bolt.  Feeding the sails onto the track takes a few minutes but is not difficult or unpleasant.  The downsides are that I leave the battens in the sails which make storage and handling awkward. The other thing is that the masts in tabernacles make access into the cabin a little inconvenient when the masts are down.  I'm surprised how often I climb into the cabin when the boat is stored on the trailer.  Last thing is the boat won't fit into my garage because the tabernacles are too tall for the door. 

So, my thoughts.  I doubt that leaving the sail on the mast will work unless you forgo the battens.  Check your storage length before you add tabernacles.  I'd make the mast removable from the tabernacles so you can get them out of the way when working on the boat.

Good luck with the weather. Crazy weather here in Seattle too (60F and sunny when it should be 45 degrees and raining).     

Interesting that Rustoleum worked for Chick......it did not for me at all as well as at least one other person on the forum. I had all kinds of nicks and scratches from just moving around shop. Ended up stripping (chemical, elbow grease and dirty looks) then finished with epoxy primer and Interlux 2 part LPU (forget which one)

Thinking back on the Rustoleum, it was marine Rustoleum, but I've used the regular Rustoleum on other projects. Ski-Nautique by Correct Craft used regular Rustoleum to paint the sides and graphics on their boats for years at one time. I sanded and solvent wipe before applying the paint. Paint immediately after prepping. Oxidizing begins immediately. Don't remember the color I used, but it was a "sand" or "buff" kinda color.

Sorry that I cant provide a pic of my guide. Guess i never took one. I'll check with Frank who bought it. Maybe he'll take one and post it. 

• 2 weeks later...

.  I know nothing about sailing first time on a sail boat was this pass messing about.  if I were  ask what kind of sail configuration is used on a cs-17  are all three mast spots use ?  I have added a bulkhead in front of the forward bulkhead that comes in the plans  it is 20 inches from the point of  the bow. it is sealed so I hope it is water tight it is 3/8 oak plywood that has been coated 4 times with epoxy them the hole area will be painted with 2 part epoxy paint. my original idea was to use it to store a anchor in the hole.  can I add a tabernacle to this new bulkhead I planned on leaving if it open if it is not to deep the bottom is the same level as the board the forward mast would rest on   .I want to add some sort of cabin so I can get out of weather I have cut a hole in the forward bulkhead and add a shelve so I can store some things in there I would like the cabin to go forward maybe to the new bulkhead
any help would be appreciated