Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Hey Don---who ya kidding. I've seen your nice garage (shop), ya just gotta get all the stuff outa the way. TONS of room in there! I think you just like to work in the "great outdoors". And ya got a nice paved area to roll your cradle out on. I guess we are BOTH a couple of winers...

By-the-way, when I have a piece that's too short, I just try again. I cut it three times and it's STILL too short...

Well, enough of that---I gotta go finish my morning chores and then get back to work on Breezy. See y'all "later, alligator".

Sorry to have been so long to get back-at-ya ya'll. But here's an update. All the parts for the cockpit module are done, as are the cockpit sides and c/b trunk. Well, almost. Gotta trim the glass and add a couple of coats of epoxy inside the trunk. The third pic shows how the glass is rolled over onto the flange. This will insure that no water can reach the wood after the trunk is bonded together. The holes for the c/b pivot pin have been filled. They will be drilled out later to fit the 3/8" pin.

Now, on to the pictures.

post-1823-0-44111600-1430252196_thumb.jpg Here are the parts ready to assemble. 

post-1823-0-31912200-1430252220_thumb.jpg The inside of the c/b trunk parts are glassed. 

post-1823-0-22060900-1430252239_thumb.jpg Note how the glass is rolled over onto the flange.

Finally got to assemble the cockpit module. It takes some fiddling to get everything aligned properly and clamped, stapled, and screwed in place temporarily.  Next job is to fillet and tab it all together. Ya gotta be sure that there is no twist in the structure, and that you've temporarily put the cockpit sole/ballast tank top in place so it's all square. The manual is quite clear on this.

Once it's all glassed, I'll have to stick it out in the carport where Miss Debbie's Honda Fit, Red, is supposed to be living while I have his garage filled with boat building stuff. Neither Red, nor Miss Debbie are happy about this arrangement...

post-1823-0-96216000-1430428328_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-34102400-1430428330_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-55946500-1430428331_thumb.jpg

Lennie, If I could spend some real time---more than 3-4 hrs. a day and no weekends, then I could really zip through this boat. The kit is WONDERFUL. Graham and Alan have done a fantastic job with it, and the instruction manual. Just like building a big model airplane. (Another of my hobbies that I don't have time for...)

I'm confused, Chick.  To me, it looks like you glassed the wrong sides of the c/b trunk.  I know that you know better.  Guess I'm gonna have to come up and have a look, as I'm about to start my trunk.  The cockpit module looks great!  Makes it look like you've been working on it for months. (But we all know better, you kit builder, you.)

Don, nope. it's the inside of the trunk. The center picture shows the port side of the trunk with the cap and kingposts to the right, and the starboard side to the left. The port side is part of the port cockpit side. The starboard side of the trunk is laying on top of the aft end of the port cockpit side while I glass it. Just because of my space problems.  Good grief, if you understood that explanation, you must be a genius...                                                                                                            Come on up for a visit anytime. You can help me figure out how to get the boat rolled over for glassing and painting the bottom.

Edward, everything is a trade-off. For my purposes as a single handed sailor, loss of cockpit space is not a problem. I prefer a real cabin rather than a boom tent or such. I rarely day sail. Most of my sailing will be two or three day cruises. Occasionally, I'll have Miss Debbie and/or the grandson with me on a day sail and there is room enough for them. I'll be finishing a Spindrift 12 that Scott Dunsworth brought me. That will be used for day sailing. Most of my day boat use is in Turtler, or kayaking with family.

Edward, I like your Blog. I had not seen it before. Was that a template, or are you just really clever with HTML? I've never seen that style of blog before.

As for cockpit space, every boat is a compromise. Chick actually wanted to build a smaller boat with a cabin. I am in the midst of building a CS20.3 and to me, the big difference between the designs was cockpit space. I have a family of 5, and we all sail on my Sea Pearl together with no problem, but I felt the CS17.3 was a bit tight. I went and looked at Doug's CS20.3, and I saw Graham's 17.3 when I picked up my kit. For a brief minute I wondered if I made a mistake going with the 20, but after I laid it all out on the basement floor and used seat cushions for people I knew I was right. If you want a dry place to sleep, it changes everything. What I like most about the Mark III designs (and it was first evident when I saw Dawn Patrol in pictures, which has some of the same attributes) was that the cabin wasn't big. Too many boats say sails 5, sleeps 5. What I wanted in a boat was sails 5-6, sleeps 2.

I think Chick is after a boat that is primarily a solo overnighter .  He really wanted a CS15.3, but it simply wasn't feasible.  I did get "up the mountain" yesterday, and got a gander at his c/b trunk glassing concept.  I get it now.  I still think he's cheating, buying a kit.  (Yeah, I'm envious.)

Glassing the inside of the ballast tanks demonstrated why my big belly is a bad idea! After the end of the second day, it is a long way down there! If I were doing it again, might do some of the glassing outside the hull, then just joining the glass at the hull / web junction.

Matt. plan plans for glassing everything. I'll glass the ply surfaces, but not the cleats that join the cockpit sole to the tank. the cleats will get multiple layers of epoxy.

Jay, I'll do most of it outside the hull, and then glass it all down with fillets and tape. I can't imagine doing it all in place.

Chick, did most of mine in place, really didn't get the word to glass till slightly tooooooo late! It was difficult, I called it the "The Inverted Ribbon Toss". Done now tho!! When we dropped the module in place, it acted like it knew where to go! Fit perfectly! Graham has the cut file very accurate. Only problem I had was I left the spacer blocks in the trunk, and the darn things found a tiny bit of epoxy and bonded themselves in the trunk.

Ooooh, Jay. Those pesky spacer blocks WILL sneak up and bite you if you're not careful. I like that term "The Inverted Ribbon Toss".

Don, Make "nice" now. Don'tcha know that belly-aching is at least half the fun of boat building? You could have a cabin too. If the "other" Don can do it, so can you...

Well, gotta go now. Time for morning chores and then it's out to the garage to start my very own "The Inverted Ribbon Toss".