Core Sound 20 MKlll s/n 2

Jknight611

Hi all, wanted to give a brief update on CS20 MKlll s/n 2!

We picked up our kit from B&B just after the Messabout and headed home. We got started on the kit in mid December

post-3962-0-25714100-1424123440_thumb.jpg

We "did" the centerboard, rudder and bonded the rings on all the access panels to get the feel of working with the materials.

post-3962-0-23456100-1424124286_thumb.jpg

We coated the surfaces of the foils with a barrier coat after completing the glass covering. Then we built the butterfly, darn thing is big! Didn't have enough room so I built the jig under the butterfly. It was assembled on 2x stock on a bunch of sawhorses. For the 3d fold, I held the stern up while the 2x stock was removed and it layed right into the cradle! Stressful 6 minutes!

!post-3962-0-10904200-1424123767_thumb.jpg post-3962-0-33885600-1424124629_thumb.jpg.

Other than a few embarrassing calls to the Wizard the build has progressed just fine!

post-3962-0-89178400-1424124736_thumb.jpgpost-3962-0-19957600-1424124794_thumb.jpg

I am trying something slightly different than Doug's Look Far, I have a thru hull in the centerboard trunk and a reversible ballast pump to add or remove water from the ballast tank, hope it works!

Also hope the photos are clear enough!

More when my fingers dry!

post-3962-0-92276200-1424123725_thumb.jpg

Think I am getting geared up to bond the bunk tops down. I am rolling the second coat of epoxy in that area this afternoon. I bought some Sherman Williams Tile Clad water based epoxy paint to paint the "utility" areas. I thought I can see any issues with the wood with out paint , but with all the epoxy I don't imagine any problems years down the creek with rot.

What say yea?

Inside compartments and out of the living areas of the cabin, I like to keep the epoxy bare. I can see if there is any water intrusion and UV (which breaks down epoxy) is not an issue on the inside. On the outside, if you are finishing bright, you need several coats of a varnish with a good UV inhibitor and keep recoating regularly.

Well here is a update on our CS 20 MKlll, believe the name will be SOUTHERN EXPRESS. I am really happy with the quality of the kit and the quality of the materials. No major snags, (hope my questions to Graham remain secret!) On our next work session we (my wife and I) plan to bond the horizontal surfaces in place. Funny how you work and work, see little progress, then eureka, in one work session, a boat or a recognizable part appears!

Haven't quite figured out how to NOT POST SIDEWAYS!

post-3962-0-71991400-1424996383_thumb.jpg

Great progress! If you are using an iPhone or IPad keep the "home" button ( slightly indented button on bottom of phone) on your RIGHT when taking a picture, and then they won't get inverted. Otherwise, don't worry, Chick just lays sideways on his desk to look at pictures.

• Like 1

Hi Doug, been using Talon plastic nails to hold cleats and such while the epoxy sets, I do have about 50 lbs of soft dive weights from another life if I need them, the plastic nails are 7/16 long don't provide much clamping pressure. They work great preventing the hydraulic slide when you have a piece setting on the wet epoxy. Thanks for the tip! I'll be "out " for 2 more weeks then I hope to see a flurry of progress!

Thanks for the comments all!  Really enjoy this project, and I know we will enjoy the boat when complete!   Don, you mentioned you were using Dyneema loops, where did you find these?  I have a rivnut puller and plan to install all the hardware with aluminum rivnuts in shear, so the Dyneema loops will be the hot set up. I wont be home for the next 2 weeks so I am gathering parts, supplies and a credit card bill.

Thanks Don, mostly tounge in cheek, thanks for getting me thinking that direction!  Think I will use that video series to eliminate any hard shackles on the sheets and halards.  I was hit in the head years ago trying to wrangle a jib shackle that weighed 4 oz, that hurts when that thing is being whiplashed in a seaway by a 50ft mast so eliminating shackles will save weight and money. 

Best of everything to the Core Sound Warriors starting the Challange today!!