Laminated coaming: 34" vs 36"

powderpark

Hello friends,

A month ago, I've purchased Firefly plans and start building soon and my strategy  is to make the laminated coaming first. On the plans, the longitudinal dimension for the plywood coaming is 34" and it looked  OK  for my size  (I'm 6' 1" and weigh around # 220), but couldn't be sure for the width to allow comfortable entry (or exit during a capsize) so I've thought to enlarge it slightly, increase the overall width by ~1 inch, which seemed feasible to me, but couldn't be sure with  this extra width, coaming would interfere with other members of the frame or worse, would change handling of the boat.

You may see the difference between these two 34" versions  here. Red line represents the original and green is the modified.

Then I've thought maybe the 36" version already has this feature, enabling bigger kayakers would enter and exit to cockpit more easily and decided to ask you, if should I modify the laminated coaming form as in the drawing or should I try to obtain 36" coaming plans and build that one? 

Regards,

Powderpark

36" coaming is only used on the "Plus" sized Firefly. It was designed and built as a special request and that boat is HUGE! I don't like and I feel child like sitting inside that boat. But it is only one with a 36" coming.  Unless you have large hips the stock size will fit you fine. It may look small but it is not, it pretty typical size. Plus the frame spacing is not going to accommodate a longer coaming. The coaming rests on the frames and longer is not going to gain you any leg room.

You could make is wider if you wanted and I don't think that would cause anything but I am not 100% sure.  l

In the event of a capsize you will find it is hard to stay inside a boat. Everyone is afraid of getting stuck but you naturally just come out. Learning to roll I have found I need extra padding so I can stay inside the boat because despite trying I tend to fall out.  I am working on an idea for thigh braces to help brace myself so I stay in!

I have the Fire Fly with it's standard coming, it is plenty big enough.

I am 61 YO, 6' 2" 235 lbs I slip in and out with out any trouble.

I must say though. I have tipped over a bunch of times in the ocean, we tried a 5 mile trek along a beach with the waves hitting us

broadside, 1 to 2 footers, (we should have been further out where the waves were rolling instead of stacking up and pounding)I had a full skirt on and could not keep myself in the boat when I went on my side, slipped out every time and I wanted to stay in. 

I too, am pondering an idea for some kind of brace.