Possible class location

Kudzu

If you are interesting in taking a kayak building class how would you feel about the class being held outside, under a pavillion?

I meet the Park Ranger with Guntersville State Park and asked about the possibility of holding a building class at the park. He was very interested and they offered this space. Very large pavillion located right on the lake, adjacent to the beach area. The scenery is fantastic and he mentioned the possibility of package deals where students could stay at the Lodge or the Camp ground, a meal ticket for the restaurant or coffee shop at the Lodge, at a discount. It is something I want to look at but first I want input on the pavilion

Not sure how I feel about the outdoor location. I have been looking for something like a classroom with A/C and had never considered an outdoor location so this leaves me scratching my head!

10390319_10153082284708637_6215135510167

Overall view of the pavillion.  The enclosed area would be cordoned off to keep the public out. But it would be in plain site of beach goers.

10959519_10153082284503637_3784911934580

Lots of space under the pavillion and it well protected from the sun and any bad weather that might pop up.

1489206_10153082284603637_65681897913405

1661196_10153082284148637_86076311524975

This is part of the view. Nothing to complain about here!

10676168_10153082284418637_9982380241629

So please give me some input and help me decide!

That looks like a great location. I have seen other skin on frame classes successfully taught outside under a roof. There are several taught every year

outside under a roof at the Center for Wood Boats at Lake Union in Seattle, WA. It was seeing that class while on vacation that got me interested in this type of construction.

Another plus for being outside is that  outsiders get to see what you are doing. Word of mouth advertising. 

Would there be a place to sleep and eat nearby?

The State Park has a beautiful Lodge on the Mountain directly above the pavillion. Plus they have 'Chalets' and waterfront cabins.  Lower cost options are in town, 15 minute drive?

This is the balcony on the back of the lodge. The pavillion is down below on the water.

LGSP%20Sunset%202014_0.JPG?itok=WhZ5EsTQ

Graham Byrnes (B&B Yachts) does a building workshop under a circus tent at Mystic Seaport during the Woodenboat Show.  He has done it the last several years in a row and appears to sell out the 6 spots each year.  My only question would be security, and that is only because you did not mention the subject yet.  I work outdoors all summer, so I don't think the lack of A/C would scare me away.

I have only gotten positive response so I am going to follow up with the Ranger and see what they can offer.  As for security we can lock up the tools at night. The boat have to stay outside but the Rangers office and the Marine Police bases are 20-30 feet from Pavilion in the same building. Plus there is only one way in and out so I am not really concerned about that.

Here it is not uncommon to have high 80's to low 90's with 80% plus humidity. It can bet pretty miserable so I will probably look at spring or fall classes.  I have 3 possible places now and I need to look into each one and see what they offer. Obviously cost is the big factor.