New Boat....Decisions decisions...

TN Kelly

Hello all,

It is wintertime and my shop is not heated, so spend a lot of time surfing and dreaming.

First thought is to make a Spindrift 12 to row and sail around with my wife's 8' pram.  I really really want a light small boat that I can put in and take out almost every single day to row for exercise.  Nothing serious, just to move around a little (getting old, fat and lazy).

Later on I would make a CS 17 for sailing.   or the CS 20 and mount an outboard as secondary...

Then sometimes I think maybe a CS 15.  That would be a compromise to row and sail.  Then wouldn't need to make the 17... But the CS 17 sails so fast and has water ballast....

I am dying to try a boat with ballast.

If I make the Spindrift, could a person put the mast on a tabernacle that was higher than a persons head when rowing?  I envision rowing for fun, but if the wind was right I could also pivot up the mast and sail on the fly.

Heck.  Any advice would be fine.  Like I said just kicking ideas. 

Hey Kelly. We're almost neighbors. About 2 1/2 hours away. We have a little group here in the Southern Appalachians. You may want to join our Facebook page. Not much going on now, but when it warms up a bit, we plan on getting together sailing, rowing, motoring, or whatever. https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

The CS-17 does not have water ballast, only the CS-17 Mk-3 (Raised deck with cabin.) You wouldn't want that boat unless you want to cruise and sleep aboard. If you are looking toward a bigger boat than the S-12, why not go directly to the CS-15? As far as tabernacle, if ya want it---do it. But you could just row with the mast up. Or lift it out and lay it in the boat. It's not too heavy on the 12.

Anyway, enjoy your building experience. We're all here to help.

Hey Tennessee! I live just south of Chick about 40 minutes or so. I'm gearing up to build a Bay River Skiff 15 from B&B. I like it over the Core Sound 15 for a couple of reasons. It is a little simpler, therefore slightly less expensive. I like the flatter lines at the bow, and don't need the deeper "V" entry on the CS15 up here in the Appalaccians. Both designs allow you to move the mizzen forward to a third position, to facilitate rowing. I don't think the 15 will cost much more than the 12, until you start fitting out the sailing rig. People who build the CS usually opt for a fancier sailing setup. The typical BRS is no-nonsense, and less expensive. Come on down in about a month or so, and check on my progress. We'll chew the jaw, have lunch, and I'll send you back over the mountains.