Action Tiger builds a Firefly. Slowly.

Action Tiger

Well, here's the blank for my paddle. The thin stick glued on top is to make the loom thick enough, but will also be narrowed and carried down the length of nearly the whole blade. This is a unidirectional paddle. The thin stick is glued to e concave side of the paddle, the convex being the power face, making it a sort of bent paddle.

Gluing continues apace on the coaming. And more distractions have arrived in my garage. Ah, well.

post-4050-0-20786800-1468888635_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-48778300-1468888646_thumb.jpeg

Well, the coaming is almost done. Really. I'm about to sew this boat up.

Meanwhile, work continues on the paddle. This is my interpretation of a paddle style I've seen from the area these boats originated. I saw a bent one, had a bent stick, and so went for it.

I was a late adopter of bent paddles in my canoe, and I kick myself. Maybe this swept/bent paddle will be my new thing.

This is also a directional paddle, with one power face, and as a result can have a differently shaped loom. The loom is sort of traingular in profile, with the base in the palm, and the apex in the fingers.

The blades are about 4" wide and 36" long, and th loom is 24" long and 1 1/4" wide by 1 1/2" deep, or tall.

The blades need to be thinned, yet, after I remark them, and the ridges down the backs of the blades need to be trimmed and rounded.

This is fun carving.

The pics are the blade/loom interface, top view of loom ridge, and edge view of blade tip, showing eventual rough thickness of blade (that little pencil line).

post-4050-0-58915500-1469031307_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-76443100-1469031318_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-27090000-1469031338_thumb.jpeg

"Hey, dummy, remember you already trimmed the cockpit fabric to fit a coaming by being sewn inside?"

"Ummm, I do now..."

So, regular old plywood kudzu coaming it is... Although, I could go all whole hog on finishing this one, and just stitch it in anyway...

Anyway, I'm gluing up the "lip" layers now, so I'll have to decide one of these days...:)

What do you use your angle grinder for? There were a few voids I need to fill (really! This is supposed to be marine!) Really I think they were just knots in inner plies that were solid before they got chopped in half. No big.

I'll fill the holes with a little goop, drill some oversized sewing holes, goop them, redrill, paint, and have a boat!

Whoo!

post-4050-0-02681200-1469726253_thumb.jpeg

Interested to see how your paddle project works out. I tried a Greenland style for the young prince and honestly don't care for it too much. He works it through the water just fine, but I don't like how it becomes unstable under power strokes. Probably my poor execution in construction, but I was going to try thinner touring style plywood blades for the little pink princess. The Aleutian style paddles have always fancied my eye though - far less plane work with a laminated loom and plywood blades.

I think it will be nice. I may be bothered by the asymmetrical nature of the paddle, but it should be fine.

I haven't used any but Greenland style paddles for a LOOONG time. In fact, all my single paddles are willow leaf or greenland style blades, too.

I do mostly hand work, so the planing isn't bad to me. Shoot, when I get bored enough, I make planes...

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-93748900-1470027976_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Drilled my coaming full of holes. Finishing it all of in the next few days, and ready to sew in.

Sewing of patches continues. I am working up a graphical treatment involving the faux patches I put on to disguise the real one I needed.

Paddle is being carved a bit at a time. Me blade is close, the other less so. :) Keeping it even, though. Scales help...

Baby steps continue, as does my crazy busy life.

I'm getting pretty darn excited to paddle this guy, though...

I am probably going to purchase the plans for the Vardo or Poco . I am 6'4" and 212, need somthing big, but I had an argument with the table saw the other day so in the process of healin. Didn't lose anything but  some meat so thumb is very tender. Nice looking cutouts. I live in Minnesota now but grew up in Lakewood, CA.

I'll fill the holes with a little goop, drill some oversized sewing holes, goop them, redrill, paint, and have a boat!

Whoo!

I re-read this again today and it clicked that you are employing the drill, fill, drill technique that I've only heard referenced in stitch and glue builds for through hull holes.

Are you really that worried? Using lesser quality plywood in your coaming? Or just just saying, "To hell with it - I've been at it this long - I'm going all out on the details..."?

I'm worried about the grain orientation of the wood where the sewing line will pass through. The plywood is good fir, though it does have a few inner ply knots that came loose.

I am just being cautious the stitches digging in and, effectively, loosening, and if the line starts to cut into the inevitable end grain exposed by cross drilling plywood from either sewing tension, or working during use, that would do it.

Plus, I got these cool syringes from the vet, and I want to practice with them. I'm building two stitch and glue sailboats right now, too, after all.

And, yeah, why rush now?

This may shock some of you, but the boat is really progressing. I am doing an elaborate paint scheme I don't want to ruin, but suffice to say the patching is basically complete, and I put several in actual wear spots, so win/win. I may put on a few more for grins, and I may still do a false seam or two, also for grins.

The coaming is painted and smoothed, and getting more paint. It will be an integral part of the livery, so no sneak peaks of it, either. :)

The paddle is also progressing slowly. We have had an oppressive heat wave, nearby wildfire, and I have had two run races just occur.

Still, eking it out...

Peace,

Robert

Perhaps after this build I should become the Action Tortoise instead? Nah! Male cats are plenty lazy and slow moving until the action starts...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I'm almost done with a base coat that should provide no clue as to what is to come, so I will post a pic of the totally built boat later, after the bottom paint dries enough to roll her back.

The economy cloth is so light and open, my I unthinned porch and floor paint was dripping through the weave to the inside! I had to watch for drips on the inside! Haha.

Anywho. It really is done, and a real live boat, almost. Can't quite float, yet, but in a few more coats... :)

Oh, she is very long. Gosh, I ain't had a boat this long in a while, in fact. I will probably just polish the whole boat off before I paddle her. I still have the paddle to finish, and I want to make a spray skirt that matches the paint.

I am happy to report the fabric was pretty snug when I sewed it up, and a little iron had it drum tight. Two coats of porch and floor has filled all the weave. There are a few pinholes to schmear, but it's all good. The paint job is progressing nicely, too, by the by.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. If anyone remembers the camo job on my freeb, this camo job is coming along the same way. It is almost at the point that it doesn't look horrific again, but it was touch and go for a minute, there...

I have been working on a lot of other stuff, including a euro paddle (eek!) and some boats for the kids, but also just stuck in the throes of an intricate paint job.

I will be able to launch soon, though, to be honest, paddling has become harder and harder for me. I need a backiotomy!

Peace,

Robert