Action Tiger builds a Firefly. Slowly.

Action Tiger

The set up proved too long for my usual screen porch workshop, so I decided to build her outside, right beside the porch.

And it started to rain. No lie.

I can honestly say weather is delaying my build, and I could not be happier.

I'm also searching for stringer material. I want the tightest grain possible, and I'm willing to wait.

I think this is about the pace my FreeB came together, too. Paddled her just last week...

I was sitting on the porch when the hummingbirds distracted me with territorial wars over the bottle brush.

I went to watch, and I tripped over my stringer board, which set me to thinking about scarfs.

How much care do you (as in all of you) give when it comes to staggering scarfs? What I mean is staggering them around the boat, so they don't all fall in the same line.

I'm curious more than seeking advice, but as this IS a discussion about building these type of boats...

• Like 1

How much care do you (as in all of you) give when it comes to staggering scarfs? What I mean is staggering them around the boat, so they don't all fall in the same line.

I always stagger mind just so they don't line up and be obvious to anyone looking inside the boat.  On the new boat I forgot and they are all in the same area.  But if the glue joint is proper, it is strong than the wood anyway so it isn't going to matter.

It is better if scarfs do not fall on frames. It isn't a matter of strength in the normal sense, but glue joints don't like focused forces and a bang against the stringer against the frame will focus on the glue line and not dissipate as well. I had to be wary of this for the strakes on the Lapwing I am building now.   But any other consideration is cosmetic or subjective.

I'm not sure a lashing around a straight slash scarf would do much if the glue let go.

A lot of people think 2 forms of joining stuff reinforce each other.  It doesn't work that way as glue is rigid and lashing is a soft join.  As to backing each other up it is debatable, but I think you are correct here.  I often use screws to draw pieces together for gluing when a clamp won't work because it has no way of being applied.  But the screws are not a back up or reinforcement, just a method.

I've cut exactly four hooked/birds mouthed/pegged/ lashed scarfs, one of which I felt safe using. This is a mechanical scarf, and it relies on a lashing to hold it all together. I don't know how folks cut them in antiquity...

That said, any mechanical scarf has a chance of staying together better than the straight slash scarf. Think of how easily their ends slip by one another when you're trying to glue them. Lashing ain't in that game. Put a key or a hook in there, though, and maybe.

I'm waiting to rip my stringer material until I get a little more, so they can all be cut at once, and hopefully be the same. :) I'm waiting to notch my forms until I rip my stringers because I've played fit the stick in the notch before.