copper tacks

pbuckner

Copper carpet tacks have a good size head, but I don't see any advantage.  It is a lot easier to staple when one hand is tied up pulling the cloth into place, especially if you are like me and only have 2 of them.  The shank of the tack is thicker as well.  So when you need a bunch of them close together this presents a greater risk for splitting the gunwale.

Just to play Devil's advocate, you COULD use an upholstery hammer, which has a slot in the head to start a tack or nail, but I would not use tacks in this case.

The staples will be much easier to get flush than tack heads. They can even be countersunk fairly easily. Plus, if you put the staples on a slight angle, the legs are not all in a line, so are less apt to split the wood. Like staggering tacks or rivets slightly on a lapstrake boat. Also, the staples will hold a little better by virtue of grabbing several warps or wefts rather than just point loading one hole, if you will.

Dave: I occasionally work on bicycles for money, like today, and my favorite tools are the Third Hand and the Fourth Hand. Both used when adjusting brakes. I used a Fourth Hand today, in fact. They make excellent zip tie clinchers, as well...

• Like 1