Vardo camping

jshaley

Happy New Year!

Three quick questions:

1. Would love to hear from someone who has built Vardo (or similar) and has had success tucking a few dry bags in it for camping? Does it lend itself well? Hatches a necessity? Thoughts?
  2. Would the Vardo work for paddlers of small (5' 100lbs) and large (6' 225 lbs) as well?
  3. Cutting frames from 1/2 plywood. Could you cut out the 6 sides from 1/4' plywood and laminate to reduce waste? Or would the added need for glue/epoxy eat up any savings.

We are attracted to the low cost and complexity of this build as a possible youth group choice - paying the very reasonable additional per boat fee as we add to fleet. 

Thank you

John

Happy New Year!

Three quick questions:

1.Would love to hear from someone who has built Vardo (or similar) and has had success tucking a few dry bags in it for camping? Does it lend itself well? Hatches a necessity? Thoughts?

VARDO was designed for this. There is a fair amount of volume inside there. I have not camped out of one but storage shouldn't be an issue. Of course when you talking about kayak camping your going to be talking backpacking gear. It's not a like a canoe!  Hatches would make loading and unloading much easier no doubt, but there are a lot of people who do it without them. I think that depends largely on your personality. Me, I would want hatches!

Would the Vardo work for paddlers of small (5' 100lbs) and large (6' 225 lbs) as well?

Probably not.  Kayaks are not one size fits all.  First, someone as light as 100 lbs, without gear in the boat, will not sink it enough for it to track well. Actually I am pretty sure that would be the case.  Also your trying to put a small person in my largest boat, so I don't see them being able to brace themselves inside the boat. It would be like wearing clothes to big for you. You would be struggling all the time with the fit.

Cutting frames from 1/2 plywood. Could you cut out the 6 sides from 1/4' plywood and laminate to reduce waste? Or would the added need for glue/epoxy eat up any savings.

We are attracted to the low cost and complexity of this build

These two statements seem contradictory to me. If you are attracted to the low complexity why would you want to complicate it by making your own plywood?

Sounds to me your complicating what is a simple process and adding expense and what do you gain?

I have always thought one of the big appeals of these boats was no epoxy use. Of course I am a little biased but it doesn't get much simpler than than just cutting the frames from a sheet of plywood. And while there is a fair amount of scrap left over, your only going to use one sheet of plywood per boat compared to 2-3 to build a stitch and glue kayak.

Jeff,

Thank you for your answers. For the smaller paddler, with a few dry bags of camping gear, would short-shot be a better choice?

Yes, by laminating the frames I am taking a very straightforward step and complicating it. I was thinking (will have to test) that the steps it takes to make a frame from a single sheet of plywood are trickier for young builders than cutting a series of marked angles and laminating around  a jig. Sometimes having them do 3-4 very simple steps rather than 1-2 more complex steps pays off - but there I go underestimating them again.

Best to build one or two using proven technique before trying to change anything. 

John

It is probably best if you did most of cutting the frames, I am assuming you are talking kids here. The outsides need to be accurate, inside not so much.  Assembly and skinning will keep them busy.

What size and age smaller ones are we talking about?

I do have a kids boat and I have realized I am really lacking in the small adult category. Shad would handle lighter weight loads well but it is very low volume.

These are high school age kids (14-18), male and female. Some are taller than my 5' 9"; but probably 150lbs or so. Others range down to maybe 5'. And they are growing. So if we have to weight the boat down a bit with heavier gear for lighter kids that may work out better than having them build a boat they outgrow quickly. 

Yes - we back pack so are used to lightweight gear and packing accordingly.

Rule number one for building boats to a plan. Follow the plan. I've built dozens of boats of all types, and I still build boats TO PLAN, when I don't build by eye.

Laminating multiple pieces into one frame, essentially double sawn frames, is WAAAY more difficult than cutting out a simple shape. Yes, these frames are simple shapes.

All this work can be done with hand tools, if skill is an issue. Mistakes happen more slowly with hand power.

High school kids?! They can do anything. When we were 14, we were building skateboard ramps like it was a disease. Cutting curves with a worm drive saw and all...

Pick a boat, then build it just like the directions say. Or, build your own boat your own way, but don't mix the two.

And, be careful with the boatbuilding. It is a horrible, horrible, incurable passion. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just saw this thread. I am 5'9"" and about 145-150 lbs. Was originally planning on building the Vardo so I would have plenty of space for a multi day camping trip but I also want to be able to take it out for day trips. Am I so light that day trips without gear will give me problems tracking? If so is there a better build that still has the extra room?

Thanks!