Longshot frame flex

Gene T

The frame of my Longshot has been lashed.  I was surprised at the amount of flex when lifting up either end.  I guess I'm accustomed to my composite strippers.  The flex is not alot but any is different to me.  I suspect it will stiffen a little once it has been skinned.  My question, is this normal or do I have to re-do the lashings that I tightened as much as I could?

thanks

gene  

Skinning will tighten it up a lot. It is a large part of the structure. As long as you pulled the lashings tight it is probably the wood flexing and not the joints. They always feel really flexible when they come off the strongback. Of course without seeing your frame I can't say what you have it normal.

I have found that using the double corded stitch with either fabric, will allow you to sew the skin on tight. If you can start with it tight and not have to depend on the heat shrinking to tighten the skin you end up with a stiffer boat.  One of my students at Chincoteague amazed me how how tight he got the 8 oz fabric on his boat.  We just shrunk a few wrinkles out here and there on his boat.

Also, keep in mind the finished boat will flex some. It will never be as stiff as a stripper, nor should it be!

Thanks for the reply and reassurance.  I've purchased the 11.5 oz fabric and today the cordage to do the double corded stitch.  The fuslage looks so attractive, it's also a shame to cover it.  I'm taking my time since it will be April before the ice melts here in NW Lower Michigan.