skinning problems

marvinh

I am putting the skin on my freeb and am starting with the coaming. I cannot get away from serious wrinkles which are too big for ironing. Since the combing is a obling circle, it makes it impossible to keep tight and smooth at the same time. Any tips out there? I am using 12oz polyester. I have looked at the utube instructions but am having no luck.  Should I leave the coaming for last?

Yup, stitch it up going from the coaming location forward to the bow, then aft to the stern.  Then I finish trimming the excess material out of the coaming area by clamping the coaming with straps or belts in place and trimming to an excess that allows for a fold.  Then I clamp the folded edge to the coaming with spring clamps to even out the strain on the cloth and minimize wrinkles.  Then sew.  Be careful not to pull out wrinkles as you sew that may cause larger wrinkles later as the cloth bunches up.  You will get wrinkles, especially with the FreeB as the curve of the gunwales is greater than any other Kudzu design.  But many small wrinkles will iron out and a few large ones will not.

• 3 weeks later...