Comparison CS17 & CS 17 mk3

Dale Niemann

I was just curious to see differences between the two boats.  I was rather surprised by the narrower beam, sail area and board down differences.  I guess the mk3 can be narrow and carry more sail because of its water ballast.  I believe on another post Graham said that the centerboard was also balasted on the mk3. The sail area is very significant also. Took these from Grahams website. dale

Core Sound 17

LOA....................17' 0"

BEAM.................. 5' 10"

DRAFT................71/2" - 3' 6"

SAIL AREA .......119 sq. ft.

HULL WEIGHT...350 - 400 lbs

SAILING WEIGHT 1000 lbs @DWL With people and gear

Core Sound 17 mk3

LOA....................17' 0"

BEAM.................. 5' 6 1/2 "

DRAFT................8" - 2' 10"

SAIL AREA .......141 sq. ft.

HULL WEIGHT...400 - 450 lbs

SAILING WEIGHT 1300 lbs @DWL With people  water ballast and gear

Able to be towed by a compact car

Self righting

Self bailing

is there a set of drawing for the mark-3 yet.  I know there is a difference but I want to put a cab on the cs-17 I am building.  I have the hull turned over and have the bottom glassed and will not do any more on it until it is painter.  I may be a while if the weather stays cold.  Once I turn it over I want to finish it.  I have put three coats of epoxy on all the under sides of the beck and seat pieces  all the structural pieces fir the mast and bow parts were fitted and epox before I turned it.  I want this boat for river travel with a outboard not so much sailing.  I want the cab to be able to get out of rain and wind as I go I plan on being on the river several days at a time.  If I need to sleep I figure I will tie up to the bank and pitch a tent I have no idea how where to start or how long I can make the cab.  I have thought of cutting part of the forward bulkhead out but do not know if that is sound or how high I can make it sitting is not a great issue I can always slouch down
Thanks for any suggestions

Is the sail area correct?  It goes from 119 to 141 on the mk3?  The mk3 is going to fly with all that sail 

I have 139 sq ft  of sail on the standard CS17 (according to the sailmaker's computer program) as I ordered sails with battens and quite a large roach. I don't feel it's overpowered. I'm sure the ballasted boat will need all of the extra area.

Cheers

Peter HK