what type of coating to cover dacron with

peaceofmind

Hello, I'm addressing you experienced kayak builders.  I'm not new to building kayaks having built 5 skin over frame in the 1970's and two more in the 1980's.

These were 12 footers and covered with defective waterbed mattresses.  These made a great covering because they were free, flexible and took a lot of abuse after adding a 1 x 2 wood keel or rub strip to the bottom.  

This winter I am building the 17 foot Vardo and would like to know what type of product(s) you folks have used to cover your Dacron with, what worked and what didn't.  Thanks for your help.

Anything! Well almost anything. It is the main reason I sell Dacron/polyester. 

Rustoleum oil based paint in the toughest paint I have used but the colors are very limited so I don't use it too often any more.

In my classes I am using Exterior house paint. Valspar Ultra gloss finish. It is great in the classes because it dries fast and doesn't stink up the the class room or the adjoining building. As long as you use the gloss it works well. I use it on my person boats to because of the wide choice of colors.

If you like clear finish and want a white boat, Dura-tuff is a great finish. Smells strongly and needs humidity to dry but I like it a lot.

Polyurathanes, varnish, just what ever you want will stick to polyester.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried using this Rustoleum marine top-side paint? .... Great price and good color choices, the label says it can be thinned with mineral spirits. Kayaks are stored out of water, dry, so I imagine the fact that it is a top-side paint won't matter too much?

... I ordered a couple of quarts, so I guess we'll see!!

Edited by soitios