Assemble manual omisions??

Kudzu

It is time to add some things to the Assembly Manual that comes with the plans and kits and I wanted to ask those of your that have used it if you there was anything that was missing or that wasn't clear. I have some new techniques to add and of course there are some things that I need to change.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but fwiw here are some suggestions for the (already good) manual. My background- I bought the Vardo deluxe kit and I have a good bit of woodworking experience but I'm a *complete* novice on boats.

1. Add a generic kayak diagram showing stringers, gunwales, stern, keel, coaming, etc.

2. Maybe add a glossary or index (is a chine also a stringer?)

3. The numbers on the drawings of the various boats in the back of the manual are hard to impossible to read. Maybe they don't matter?

4. I tried to find a reference to the "coaming brackets" in the manual, maybe I missed it? I mention this because one of the kit frame brackets had words that sort of implied it should be mounted around the coaming and that two were required. I guess that text was referring to something else located on the overall plan (or am I missing a part?).

5. A (reduced) copy of the boat-specific plan identifying the parts would be nice. Some seem obvious, others, not so much. Or maybe the recommendation should be to buy a plan with the kit?

6. I had to dig around a bit to find the recommended ratio of the scarf (8:1). It'd be nice to mention that in the manual.

7. A few grammar errors.

At this point, I have my strongback built and the four frames mounted. Scarfing jig is almost done and I hope to pick up enough WRC today.