Princess 22 has new home

jpage

The original Princess 22, "Princess", built by Chick Ludwig about 14 years ago, has a new home in northern Vermont. I purchased her last Friday in Baltimore, Md., and towed her home to Jeffersonville, Vt. on Saturday. She has a nice trailer, and towed beautifully behind an F150 rental truck.. I purchased plans for the Princess 22 about 10 years ago, and even drove to Chick's house, while on a trip to NC, and looked at Princess. But after studying the plans and considering my skills, work space, family and work obligations, and bank account, I decided it was too big a project for me to realistically take on. I got a deal on a professionally built Caledonia yawl, which we have enjoyed for 10 years, sailing mostly on Lake Champlain, but also Lake George, smaller lakes of northern Vermont, and the coast of Maine. Sailed on a CS20 in Maine at the Small Reach Regatta about 5 years ago, met Graham (with his EC22). A few years ago I built a SkiffAmerica 20 outboard (with small cabin), which we have also enjoyed cruising in. But the motorboat experience confirmed that I'd really rather be sailing, but on a boat with a cabin. So when Princess came on the market, needing a lot of work, but at a relatively modest price, I took the plunge, with my wonderful wife's blessing. Princess has a newer motor and trailer, and the sails look quite good. She needs a new main tabernacle, repair or replacement of the toe rails, grab rails, some seat hatches, the cabin hatchcover, and some of the hardware. Most every surface needs refinishing (most varnish was painted over). Structurally she appears solid. So she is not the beautiful young princess you see on the web page, but with a substantial makeover she can be the belle of the ball once again. I'm looking for nearby indoor storage, and hope to work on her some over the winter and spring, as time and conditons permit. Storage will not be heated, so I'll be doing well to be in the water by July. Still, I am very excited and honored to be able to have such a special boat. Chick did an excellent job building her, so she should have a productive middle age, despite having fallen on somewhat hard times. If I can figure out how to upload photos I'll post some, showing current condition. Wish I could make it to the messabout this weekend, but it's not possible this year. I helped bring a boat up the ICW to Vt. 2 years ago, we passed thru the Oriental, NC area, and would love to revisit, and especially to see the B&B fleet and owners, especially the CSmk3's.

Joel Page

Jeffersonville, Vt.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on the tabernacle problem? Explain the issue and provide detailed photos?

Some of us are building similar tabernacles and if there is a mistake to avoid, my preference would be to avoid making the mistake now rather than fixing it later.

Are you referring to the tabernacle design now provded for the P22, or for the Mk2-3? Since I need to rebuild the tabernacle, and since Graham's new tabernacle design is apparently much better, I'd be interested in seeing how the new ones are designed, especially if its for the P22, and all other related componants are unchanged. I think I have two options; cut it out at deck and keelson and replace entirely, or cut halfway between deck and keelson, replace upper half, with plates or butts at the joint of sufficient strength to make it as strong as new. The latter would be easier, as the base appears to be below the top of a watertight compartment, which I would have to cut out to get at the base. Haven't fully evaluated this yet. 

I think the tabernacle problems may stem from all the end and edge grain exposed on the upper end of the structure, combined with twisting, wracking forces imposed by the mast. I suspect that over the years, the end grain was not adequately sealed, water penetrated the end grain, and wracking forces caused some raising of some edge grain that ran close to the surface. Water got into the edge grain as well, weakend the wood, which wracked further, etc etc. Damage extends down the tabernacle to a few inches under the deck. Just guessing about the above, but bottom line is one side of the forward tabernacle is a mess, you can peel it apart with your hands. The aft one looks ok, but needs sealing and refinishing. It is possible that a prior owner replaced one side of the aft tabernacle, as the finish and wood appearance varies somewhat; if so, they did a pretty clean job of it. Obviously the tabernacles come under a fair amount of stress. Clear grained, high quality strong wood, well sealed and maintained, and good workmanship, and following Graham's plans closely, should work fine. I have plans for another boat of this size, with a tabernacle. It call for a stainless steel fabrication. I suppose that would be an option, if you have the skills, or don't mind paying (probably a lot) to have someone else build it.

Thanks David, I may take you up on that sailing offer. Went to law school in Portland a lifetime ago and have sailed those waters some. Donna Urie (Safford) lives just down the road from me. I'm distantly related to her husband. I was up by their old place yesterday looking at a storage space. Small world.

jpage:

If possible, it would be helpful to see a picture of the issues you are talking about, including if possible, the grain pattern of the wood.

Not sure if I will be installing it as is, but for my main tabernacle, I put it together with laminated strips. In addition to that, I built it a bit larger than specified. As you have noticed, this gets installed more or less as a hard to replace, permanent fixture in the boat. Something you really want to get right the first time. I can see why some would want to do it with stainless steel angle iron or perhaps channel iron on the outside of the tabernacles to take the severe side force leverage. I think the need for a tight internal fit to eliminate any side slop has also been discussed. Done right, the pivot point or fulcrum of the long lever that is the mast is at deck level and runs all the way to the keel. Do it wrong and the fulcrum is the top of the tabernacle and the lever that is the mast then works against the tabernacle to deck height. Under the former, it all takes the strain. Under the latter, the strain may be too great to survive it.

Again, there are not many of these around, so any history from those that have been out there and in use will be a big help for those of us doing something similar.

After I repaired the wood on Pilgrim's main tabernacle, I laid down about 12 layers of light weight glass tape and epoxy around the sides and back of the top of the tabernacle. I faired it in well and you can hardly see the repair. Keeping the pivot bolt tight, I've sailed her the past two seasons pretty hard in some strong winds. There is zero evidence of any stress/damage at this time.

The weather is not your friend on the tabernacles. I have tried to keep the end grain glassed over and sealed the last couple of years. If your boat lives outside, I recomment covering the tabernacles against the sun and rain/dew.