The sound of a Core Sound

meester

HI All,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, enjoying your posts and I figure it's time for me to speak up.  I have just ordered plans for the CS 15.  It looks like a great boat, and the build videos that Alan S has been posting are about the best I have seen anywhere.  How can I go wrong?

I'd like to pose a question, and I haven't seen anyone write about it before, so here goes.

I came across these videos of the CS 15 in action:

The "white boat":

The "red boat":    

If I listen carefully through the classy music in the "red" video, I hear the wind and a rushing sound from the hull.   In comparison, the hull in the "white" video makes a "pinging" sound against the ripple.  With my eyes closed, I might have guessed the white boat was aluminum.

So, now here comes the question:  Do different boats from the same plans actually have different sounds, and if so, what is the difference in the build?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob "meester" McMichael

BTW, these vids and others are collected at http://boatplans.cc/b-b-yacht-designs/core-sound-15.

Bob:

I doubt it has anything to do with the boats. More likely, how the boat was loaded (lockers empty), video device being used to record with, camera position, etc. The only thing I can think of that might matter if one was glassed and one wasn't. I know if I glass a panel, then tap it, it has sort of a "ring" to it vs. one that is only epoxy coated.

One thing that plagues most videos of moving boats is the wind noise. Wind rushing past the built in mic gives that awful static noise. Not sure how to eliminate that. I once saw an NPR reporter do an outside interview with a hand held mic and she put this large, fuzzy sock over it. I assume that was to eliminate the static noise of the wind. Not sure if the same thing is available for the small cameras and video cameras we tend to use.