Building the redesigned Short Shot

Kudzu

Started working on my wife's new boat, the redesigned Short Shot. Come to think of I don't think I posted an image  here. I took the Short Shot and updated it to look more traditional. Yes this is along the line of the Greenland-ish boat I have been working on. But it is not the same boat. The hull is 95% the same. The hull is still 95% Short Shot. Just had to make some minor changes to it to keep the lines fair.

10592814_10152697865558637_7031537747049

While I am at it I am keeping track of my hours to build and the costs to build.It has been a while since I have kept track of the costs and I have never don that on what I consider a well equipped boat, so this is a good time to do that. You can see part one and two at my blog.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/blog/category/boat_building/building-short-shot/

I read this on your blog: I have always been a little concerned about lashing all the joints instead if lashing them one at a time but I decided to give it try.

My only concern is if lashing breaks or is damaged and having nothing to stop it from coming undone.

This is my concern with the  traditional style SOF lashing.....

Time will tell. But I am thinking that it is worrying about nothing frankly. Sinew is very strong and there is nothing to cause it break so I think it will be fine. I have changed a lot of my methods because I was over thinking them and I suspect this is one that you can easily over think too.

Wow! Snarky.

I have built 7 traditionally built SOF boats, one old enough to legally drive. I reskinned the teenage boat once, and relashed the keelson, but only because I wanted to. No signs of abrasion.

These boats are/were all designed to be used with no seat or foot braces. Sit on the skin, between ribs, feet brace on deck beam.

I never had one lashing broken or damaged. 

I see where you're going, Kudzu. On a boat with a lot of frames and/or stringers, one long lashing makes sense.

Why is it that people are so easily offended on the internet?? Good grief, nothing here is personal or directed at one person unless you see you name in the comment.

2-3 year ago I would have worried about this, 7 years ago I was worried about putting a hole in the skin every time I hit a rock. Now I know better. There are lots of things I have changed or stopped doing and I have to convince people not to waste their time and money over thinking the process. Sorry it that offends someone.

Jeff - The final tying off of each lashing really tightened the joint.   Any concerns there? My guess is I could feed a loop under the lashings and pass the dowel/spool through the loop to tie it off and pull it tight it but I'm porbably over thinking.  Lashing was one of the more enjoyable parts of the project for me but it was time consuming and speeding it up would be nice.  I was also miserable at getting the stopper knot close to the lashing so I wouldn't miss that part. 

​Jeff - What about a strategically cut V NOTCH in the frame or stringer to pull the lashing into and thus jamming the lashing before moving on to the next joint ?  You would have to be careful where the notch was cut so as not to weaken the the frame or stringer and cause a fracture in future use of the kayak. The shape, design and angle of the V NOTCH may take some thought to be self jamming but may be another step forward in the simplification of the building fun.  

A tid bit of lashing info....

I friend of mine, while in Hawaii a few yrs ago, participated in canoe building....The ancient ones took lashing very seriously he said, there was never any talking etc. while lashing was done, very important to count the number of wraps ....

I found this bit of info and reminds me of what he was saying.....Quote: a boat is a shared structure from which many gain an advantage. In Austronesian communities, typically, every maritime village has its own boat design and they say that the details of construction have been handed down from their ancestors. The apprentices learn the exact way to build every detail and the conservative attitude is reinforced by memorized chants that must be repeated without error, and by universal belief that any deviation from tradition would cause a disaster at sea. Because the use of them is dangerous, boats are particularly conservative structures and all cultures adhere to their own proven designs.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff - I looked at the most recent post on your blog regarding lashing being complete. There were a few photos. Could you provide a couple more close-up photos of how you lashed several consecutive joint/stringers without tying off on this forum topic? How did it look on each side of the frame. Very interested in this method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...