Appalachian mess-about

Chick Ludwig

Chick, 

I live in Charlotte.   We will be moving east later this year.  So SC is no problem for now.   Avocet will not be ready and we are moving the Wayfarer ( Blkskmr) east in April.  I think I will make it a day trip on Saturday making the assumption the house does not sell.  I have kept up with all the house projects so I have earned some political capital I can spend on April 30th.  I have seen all the posted photos and am very interested in what everyone has done.  I have determined that most of you are making art whereas I am just making a boat.    I look forward to meeting everyone on the 30th. 

Kindest Regards 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the Facebook website for the BBQ-- www.facebook.com/Sadlers-Creek-BBQ-548567975230371/   

Looks like they're only open on Saturdays, and may sell out before closing (8:30 p.m.).  Four out of five stars on Trip Advisor.  Cash & check only, no plastic-- except for knives and forks!

Looking forward to seeing you guys, Mistermoon and Blkskmr! Have you joined our Facebook group page? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

Sometimes I don't know who has joined by their real names.

Anyone else want to join? Be sure to post some stuff on the page when you join.

Don (Thrillsbe) will be there on Friday and I'll be down either Friday night or Saturday morning. Maybe Don will post his campsite so you can "check in", and I'll either be wandering around or on Summer Breeze.

Don's site is (I hope you don't mind, Don.):  Site #055 in Loop #3

I just got off the phone with Austin, at Sadler's Creek State Park. He know's we're coming, and has answered my questions. The answers are all pretty much the same-- yes, come on down! Yes, you can anchor out overnight in a bay. It'll only cost you $2 daily for your vehicle. You may park your empty trailer and tow vehicle at the boat launch. If that isn't your desired location, you can park it over by us campers, as long as you don't block the road. If you are coming in for the day (only), drive directly to the Day Use Area. You'll find a large parking lot at the south end of this area, which is adjacent to a fine "beach" (of Carolina red clay/sand). Starting around 10:00 or so, we'll be beaching our boats there. Unfortunately, the boat launch is way over on the other side of the park. But that only means that you start off your day with a small boat ride. DON'T TRY TO CROSS BETWEEN THE ISLAND AND THE PARK! It gets mighty shallow in there-- knee-deep, depending on lake levels. I will be camped at site #55, Loop #3. This loop has the best boat-friendly shoreline of all the Loops. The shoreline of the camping loops on the eastern side of the park are full of nasty rocks! Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing y'all at our First Annual Messabout.  The first photo shows my first mate inspecting the "beach" I've called Messabout Beach.  The second is a typical waterfront campsite in Loop #3.  (This is not my camping rig.)  When approaching from the water, our campsite will display a large green and white flag.  When approaching from land, look for the medium brown Ram pick-up truck (and yellow BRS15, unless she's in the water).  Late Saturday afternoon, we'll go over to a local BBQ.  Since they close at 8:30, and often sell out, I suggest starting in that direction around 5:00.  Please stop by and say "hey!"

N.B.  This messabout is not affiliated with B and B Yacht Designs.  We're simply a bunch of guys down here in the Appalachian Foothills who build boats and like to get together on occasion.

Thrillsbe

(AKA Don Silsbe, Local Honey BRS15)

post-3770-0-79108000-1460064670_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-08216100-1460064727_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-90887700-1460064779_thumb.png

Oh my Sweet Georgia Brown, that lake looks beautiful! Please put up as many shots of the scenery as the boats.

On that Saturday, I'll go sail my canoe around my favorite lake, so we can all be sailing together in spirit, anyway.

Now I'm starting to think I really do need another trailer sailer camp cruisy type boat...

Oh me. I'm flattered, but have sworn off planes for life.

I will be on the water pre dawn Saturday, though, to do some fish hunting on amateur day, but I will be sailing through the worming hours. I made a new yard traveler for my canoe I need to try out anyway.

An extended tour of the right and third coasts has been on my agenda for a long time, though. 6 months, a year. Not nearly enough time...

Chick,

I was just relieved of my commitment for the last weekend in April. There might be another conflict coming up but right now I am going to try to make the Mountain Messabout. Carlita will still be in stealth mode so you might not be able to find her but I will find you.