Appalachian mess-about

Chick Ludwig

UNUSUAL BOAT PROJECT. My husband, a fine cabinetmaker and furniture maker, died 5 years ago. He left behind a handmade sailboat, I estimate over half done. The plans describe it as a 22-ft sailing dory, and have Capt. Jim Orrell’s name on them. Apparently, while he kept to the plan building the hull, and the rigging setup is traditional, he put a clipper bow on the boat. I do have the lead keel. I would appreciate any information or advice from boat guys on what to do with it. I’m not sure I can sell a half-completed boat, but it’s just too beautiful to live in the garage. I live in Boone, in western NC.

(thanks for the help in posting pix -- completely obvious ... )

post-5124-0-84816100-1434551532_thumb.jpgpost-5124-0-59942000-1434551551_thumb.jpgpost-5124-0-55029400-1434551564_thumb.jpg

Cool boat! Hope she finds a loving home. It's hard to fix a price for a home built boat, especially a sail boat. You may have to sell her for best offer. I "copy and paste" it into the classified section of this website. Be sure to check it to see if you get any response. Be sure to put it on Craig's list too. Do your areas and adjoining areas including Asheville and Greenville.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to you guys for just being out there in the ether ... I found pricing this boat to sell just about impossible, for both practical and emotional reasons. I ended up giving it to a guy who has a serious case of Boat Fever, and I think he's motivated to get it in the water -- which is what I really want. A handmade boat is in the Love & Dreams Department, so pass it on. --the widow.

• 3 months later...

We have finally found a good location for the Spring 2016 Southern Appalachain Messabout. Sadler Creek State Park is near Anderson,SC, and is located on Lake Hartwell. It is a terrific place. They have the closest thing I've found in the Upstate to an actual beach. There are three campground loops, and a day area that is beautiful. The event will be the weekend of April 30th. The idea is similar to B&B Yacht Design's Messabout, but it'll be even less formal (no free meal, for example).  Chick Ludwig and I ask that you come (with or without your boat) for the day or for the weekend. Camp, if you like. Meet others. Show off your boat. Take people for rides in your boat, and vise versa.  All boats are welcome (even plastic boats). There's also a promising-looking BBQ joint on the road between the campground and I-85. I have reserved campsite #55 in Loop #3 for myself.  I'd love to have fellow Messabouters as neighbors.  I strongly urge you to reserve a campsite soon, so you can get one of the primo waterfront sites.  (Write me, and I'll give you a list of the especially good ones.)  This campground books up fast, so act now!  Please let me know if you are planning to come, so we can have a general idea of attendance.  

post-3770-0-14082800-1448457527_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-31152300-1448457564_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-75226200-1448457599_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-99275200-1448457628_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-78677300-1448457660_thumb.jpg

Summer Breeze and I will be there. I'll be sleeping aboard so I won't reserve a camp site.

We'd love to hear from you about ideas for activities you would like to have. How about if we all go to the BBQ joint together Saturday evening? And maybe we can all sail, paddle, row, motor, or swim to a nearby island for lunch on either Saturday or Sunday?

I'm adding an "event" on our Facebook page. If you go to Facebook and type in (or copy and paste)  Southern Appalachian Messabout in Boats where it says "search facebook", it will take you to our page. Then click on "events". Please go there and let us know if you are planning to come. Or just add a comment on this forum, and I'll add you to the list. Here is the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

We're looking forward to seeing a bunch of you there. 

Don,

Sadler Creek Park is a very nice location on Lake Hartwell.  We have camped there and sailed on the lake.  It is near Anderson, SC but I'm pretty sure that the park is actually in Georgia.  Water level can be an issue sometime and I don't know how it is now although there should have been plenty of rain in the area lately.  Lapwing might be able to come if the skipper and crew are up to it.

Tom, the park is on the SC side of the lake.  Lake levels were great when we visited two weeks ago.  Next April is anybody's guess.

Jay, I'm not sure, but if you're sleeping aboard, I don't think you need to reserve anything.  I'll contact them next week.  

I'm glad you're both intending to come!  (You too, Chick.  I knew about you, though.)

post-3770-0-98756700-1448491757_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

All's a go. It'll be very informal so not much planning going on now. We're both working to finish our boats. Just remember, if you want a site in the campground, you need to reserve it early. We'll plan on a trip together to the Bar-B-Q place that's nearby, and do some singin' and yarnin' around the ol' campfire at night. Mainly, we'll just spend time on the water sailing and bragging about each others boats.

We're looking forward to seeing you guys there!

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno. Questions like, can we anchor right off the beach? Fees to use showers and bathrooms. (I guess we could say that we are your guest to use them.) Will water level be up? Can we leave the trailers for 3-4 days parked at the ramp parking area? Do we want to go as a group to the BBQ joint and can we get a deal? Besides, I wanna see the place.