Appalachian mess-about

Chick Ludwig

HEY Y'ALL, are ya still out there? 

Those few of us up here in the "Throw an apple-atcha" mountains are gonna try to get a little more organized. Actually, that won't be hard 'cause we ain't organized at all now! 

But for now, nothin' new on the messabout yet. Stay tuned for that.

I'm gonna try to post news monthly or so on what we're doing. Probably start another thread for it. I'll let you know on this thread. I'm also gonna start a Facebook group page. I'll fill ya in on that to. If any of y'all would like to join-up with us, let me know. Anyone within driving distance (whatever that means) and interested in building or simply messing about in boats is invited. Right now we are in Hendersonville, Tryon, and Greenville, SC.

Hi All.  I'd like to be part of the activities.  Thanks Chick for reaching out to me.  For everyone that hasn't seen my post (Marissa 18 Eco Build ~ PHOTOS~), I'm in the process of building a Marrissa and have been posting photos of the progress.  I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty good sized climate controlled shop.  If there's anyone local to me (Greenville, SC area) that needs a heated space I might be able to help you out.

I've been to Hartwell and Keowee many times and I can tell you that Keowee is much nicer.  I know of a few sand beaches, couple of cliffs for brave jumpers and even a small waterfall.  The water is cleaner than Hartwell and there's a great free boat ramp that I've used many times... I'm just sayin'. 

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I look forward to coming down to meet you. And I'll GLADLY take your advice on boating spots. Each time I go to a new one, I write a little piece under "Boating and Cruising Stories". I'm especially interested in a lake big enough to cruise on with my yet-to-be-built CS-15 Mk-3. So far, my only boating up here has been to smaller lakes in Turtler.

Your shop sure sounds great!!!

God Bless, Chick

I'm a little farther away in Sewanee, Tennessee, but I am retired.  I work in the summer near Brevard, NC, and that's even closer.  Keep me in the loop.  

The CS 20 MK III is almost done.  Still need to do one more coat of paint inside the cabin, tubes for the ends of the oars, and seat locker hold-downs, but she should be ready to sail regularly by next week.  Best winds in the mid-south are in the winter!

I am in Virginia, am very NOT retired, have very limited windows of opportunity, but want to try to get down for this event. 

Doug's comment about winter sailing caught my attention because my wonderful wife suggested I get out to do something over Presidents Day weekend February 2/13-2/16. My first thought was to pull the CS17 and make every mile driven, a mile driven South and maybe hit the coast in SC somewhere.  However, I can be open minded about venue if anyone else has a similar window of opportunity and wants to meet up.

Dnjost, all I have now is my little Turtler sport boat with a 2.5 hp outboard, but I can putter around and admire you "big boys". I hope to have my CS-15 Mk-3 in time for the B and B messabout in October. We outa be able to meet-up somewhere mid summer.

HEY, wouldn't Mass. be a bit far for you to run down here from?

Mike, I look forward to coming down to meet you. And I'll GLADLY take your advice on boating spots. Each time I go to a new one, I write a little piece under "Boating and Cruising Stories". I'm especially interested in a lake big enough to cruise on with my yet-to-be-built CS-15 Mk-3. So far, my only boating up here has been to smaller lakes in Turtler.

Your shop sure sounds great!!!

God Bless, Chick

OK, Southern Appalachian Messabouters, We now have a Facebook page. How 'bout joining the group, post pictures of you current boat or project in an album, post about what you are doing, or where you like to boat. Add friends that may be interested (they need to be on Facebook). Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

We have a new member to our group. He is not on Facebook, but he is here. Welcome to SteveJW

He says: I have the plans for a Spindrift 10 and a CS17.  I've built a few wood strip canoes and several fiberglass kayaks, but it's been several years since I've touched any epoxy, so the Spindrift will be a re-introduction to boat building. 

I visited Don and "the other Don" in their shop down in Mill Spring the other day. Don is getting ready to start his Bay River Skiff after the holidays, but is between projects now. The other Don is hard at work on his new boat. It is a 14 foot Michalac Lady Bug. He is modifying it with a cabin of his own design, and moving bulkheads. It will have twin lee boards, and will sleep one in a very "cozy" berth.

Now, get this, he's gonna use her mostly for cruising the Intra-Coastal waterway. His first cruise will be a duzy---he's gonna leave from Charleston, sail around the tip of Florida, and then back up to Scary-soda (Sarasota for those of you not from Florida.) Now THAT is ambitious in a 14 ft. boat!

He intends to be ready for a maiden voyage this coming March. Here are a few pictures. You'll notice that one picture is of a Devlin 5x10 dinghy on top of his car. He says that he NEVER looses his car in a parking lot that way.

For more activities of the southern Appalachian Messabout in Boats Bunch, see our new facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

post-1823-0-78149800-1418915600_thumb.jpg   An aerial view.

post-1823-0-07394900-1418915602_thumb.jpg   The man in the background to the left is Don (NOT the other Don.) trying to stay out of the way. The Don to the right is the other Don.

post-1823-0-57518100-1418915603_thumb.jpg      This is his patented self-beaching device. He will sail as far as he can up onto the beach, and when he exits the boat, the weight shift forward will firmly implant the device firmly into the sand, thus avoiding the hassle of dragging an anchor ashore. Now THAT is CLEVER!

post-1823-0-19537900-1418915605_thumb.jpg     Don looks on as we discuss the best way to cut a hole through that bulkhead so as to make a snug berth-for-one without compromising the structural integrity of the bulkhead.

post-1823-0-62795000-1418915606_thumb.jpg    The OTHER DON!

post-1823-0-23612800-1418915608_thumb.jpg   As promised, the parking location indicator.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey y'all. I'm referring you over to our Facebook page. I'll be keeping that up for news of our little club's activities and pictures on there. When we finally get some details on our messabout, I'll post it there and also on this page.

Here is how to get to our group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/

• 3 months later...

UNUSUAL BOAT PROJECT. My husband, a fine cabinetmaker and furniture maker, died 5 years ago. He left behind a handmade sailboat, I estimate over half done. The plans describe it as a 22-ft sailing dory, and have Capt. Jim Orrell’s name on them. Apparently, while he kept to the plan building the hull, and the rigging setup is traditional, he put a clipper bow on the boat. I do have the lead keel. I would appreciate any information or advice from boat guys on what to do with it. I’m not sure I can sell a half-completed boat, but it’s just too beautiful to live in the garage. I live in Boone, in western NC.

I have pictures, but cannot figure out how to post them since attachments don't seem to be an option.