Tandem Plans?

Podchaser

Hi,  I was going to build a stitch and glue kayak but really like the SOF when I saw it on a recent web search.  My wife and I will paddle the low country here in SC mostly saltwater.  I looked at your plans do you have a tandem or one we could adapt?  Also was wondering since I already have some luan plywood I bought for the stitch and glue boat I thought about making a sandwich of the luan consisting of luan foam then luan for the frames. would that work?  Thanks, can't wait to order the plans. :)

No, no tandem yet.  About once a year (give ortake) I get a question or request for a tandem. Bottom line is there is minimal demand and since I don't have a use for a 'divorce boat' I just haven't done more than play around with a design.

In order to sell plans for a tandem I would have to build and paddle it and I don't have much use for a tandem.The demand is so low it, would probably never make me any money either. And as much as I love this, I am in it to make money. I would never just design one and put it out there totally untested. I will modify an existing design that will well proven without building it sometimes, but a tandem is a new birth. 

I NEVER encourage people to modify anyone's design and I will not support anyone that modifies one of my designs. Even though stretching a design seems simple, it is in fact a totally new boat and who knows what you have till you paddle it? Plus there is a lot of small things that you have to keep in mind to make is good design. 

The only 'real' Fuselage Frame tandem I am aware of is from Tom Yost. I have never seen of paddled one. Other than that I am just not aware one. 

All that said, my wife has finally come to the Dark Side and taken up paddling and is enjoying it. It is rare that a couple can actually paddle together and not end up in a fight. We have talked about it and her paddling style is similar to mine but....... Lets just say that I have considered a tandem again. But I wouldn't recommend waiting on me either!

The keys to avoiding "divorce boat" issues are that the stern paddler has to follow the bow paddler's strokes and the boat has track well enough that the bow paddler does not have to constantly adjust her stroke. 

Maybe I am a born follower, but I have no problem with the first requirement.  As to the second, alot of plastic boats don't track. 

Dave Gentry's Chuckanut has worked for my wife and me and for several years.  It is a little over 15' long.  Spacious, probably because my wife is small.  It is very stable, but has an open cockpit, so not for rough water.  Like Jeff's plans, the plans are easy to follow and Dave is very available by email. I made some cosmetic modifications with Dave's assistance.

The Chuckanut is the bottom boat in the photo.

post-2274-0-58942300-1411305195_thumb.jpg

Ok, Thanks for the replys. I know I did have some frustration with my wife when we paddled in a tandem recently. "No go this way, your too close to the other kayaks" but we do bouce off each other ok and we still had fun. I guess i thought she might not be able to paddle alone but I will try that next time