Marissa (eco 18) went to Europe !! photos of build

Lotus

Thanks every one for the nice compliments , and yes MM it's very frustrating waiting for that motor seems like it's taking ages to be shipped  !!

Mike looks like you were reading my mind . I am still confused about what rub rail I will put. My first thought was a 40 mm white rubber but when I got a sample it didn't look elegant on it. 

Now that I have added a touch of wood grain ( the foot steps ) I am thinking of making the rub rail of maple wood. I'll make a sample tomorrow and see how it looks.

I really like the light colored wood!  I'm not used to seeing maple used on boats but I really like the way it looks on your boat.  I wonder why maple is not typically used.. at least in the U.S..  Is it just a traditional thing or something more?  Maybe someone can provide some insight. 

Maple (especially hard maple) is very dense and tough.   I use soft maple exclusively when making drawers and hard maple for making drawer slides.  For marine applications, I typically see teak, mahogany, cypress and white oak.  I think those woods are less prone to rot than maple, which may be a factor.

How did you attach your rub rail?  I've read about a method where a large hole is drilled and then filled with thickened epoxy.  That epoxy 'plug' is then drilled and tapped for a machine screw which can also be epoxied in place or not (depending on if you'll ever want to replace the rub rail).  It sounds like a lot of work but from what I understand, it's much stronger than wood screws alone.

Hi Mike , I don't know how to answer you about hard maple and sea water . I used it just because I love its grain and wanted a light colour grain too. If its prone to rot than they will be replaced as they are easily screwed out. Thanks for that info , to be honest I didn't made any research about maple and boats !

About the rub rail it is fitted with screws that hold the stainless steal trim it self. The screws are visible . 

I've have heard about the method you mentioned but I don't think its necessary for a small rub rail 

• 1 month later...

Hi Lotus!  Just wondering the status of your motor.  I think you were waiting for it the last I heard.  I wish I could send you one! I was at the dealer yesterday and he was trying to get me to take a 60 home that night.  I've decided to go with the 40 hp because most of my boating is on lakes.  They go by too quickly if my boat is too fast:-)

Hi Mike, yes finally I've got the motor and it's installed and all the wireng, steering , cables ecc are all done. As soon I receive some documents from the authorises she will be swimming !!   

Initially I was going for a suzuki 50hp but then I found out that the suzuki df 40, 50, and 60hp are all the same engine , just tuned different, therefore they all have the same weight (104kg). Its not bad having a little extra hp !

post-4121-0-88860200-1421756025_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-34824600-1421756058_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-35982200-1421756139_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-33655800-1421756179_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments !

Still waiting for the upholstery . Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will go for a sea trial .

Any suggestions about the outboard propeller size ?.

The one I've got with the motor  is a  pitch 13 . The range that will fit my 60hp motor is from 11 to 17inch. From the shop they told me that they will give me the size that's best for the boat but I have to make a sea trial with each one of them to know the expect size needed , and that looks like a bit of a hassle for me !!

Besides that the motor have 10 hours brake-in period so I don't think its  a good idea to force it to full throttle to determine the propeller reves for several times !! 

I don't have any experience of choosing the best size propeller , perhaps that why I am making a fas !!! 

Any help will be greatly appreciated .