Ocracoke 20

Wderry

My son and I are considering building the orcacoke 20 she's a beauty

i have contacted Graham and have a materials list however, I have several questions before diving in.

ideally I'd love to see the boat in person before starting. The reviews are amazing it almost sounds to good to be true.

So here goes

how many oc 20 have been completed?

are there any in the CT RI area...if so would anyone be willing to show us their boat?

Are there any numbers on ballpark cost and hours?

what is the saving for cutting your own plywood?

this is one good looking boat. I'm trying to not let my emotions cloud my vision

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

I understand that each build is unique and time and costs will vary

thanks

Bill

Personally I think the CNC kit price is very reasonable and labor/time saving. It will also save a tremendous amount of time locating and pricing plywood locally. I too am considering building this boat and if so I will probably order the CNC kit. My son wants to build the OK24 but the OK 20 is a big 20 footer.

You may know that I just a few weeks ago flipped my OC20 and have taken time away to catch up on some long neglected domestic chores.  Since the flipping party any time I managed to spend on the boat project has been spent on getting the trailer modified to fit the boat.  Took it to the welding shop this morning get the bunk brackets welded.

Sorry I can't help you with the cost issue.  I will tally it up one of these days but so far I've been having too much fun building to spend time on accounting. 

I did buy the CNC frame kit and highly recommend it.  For me that left plenty of work to be done!

The only really troublesome things I found was (1) getting some of the stringers bent properly up near the stem.  I bought a small steam generator to help with that I think steaming in some way is essential.  And patience! .... I used a large adjustable (Cresent) wrench to supply the torque when and where needed and that would have worked better had I left square corners on the stringer stock up near the stem.  And (2) getting the paint I used for the bottom and sides to flow properly without runs and exhibit the gloss I expected.  Inexperience with this type of paint and painting a major factor here...............both these issues actually.

I show the boat to anyone interested and everyone who's seen it is blown away by the beauty of her lines. 

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Wderry I live in northeast CT and am building  Grahams Outer banks 20.  Regardless of what you choose  I think building a boat w/ your son is probably one of the best ideas you can have. I will be 48 years old and started my boat alone.This is my first build My father who was 79 and started to help me and became hooked. He is here EVERY Saturday and we work on it together.  I too was concerned how long it will take as I enjoy boating and fishing. Somewhere along the way I started to "enjoy the journey" . I am not building the same hull but you are more than welcome to stop by and see the jig and the building steps/procedures. I hear from friends and family all the time why i just didnt buy a boat. I just tell them i set a long term goal for myself. In this fast paced world we live in a long term goal has become a month for some people. If you look for OB 20 #24  you will see my build. Send me a private message and I will help any way i can>