Marissa 18 Eco Build ~ PHOTOS~

MikeLTour61

Hi Mike , I noticed that problem too, but not as much as you said . Perhaps because of a bigger motor and the position of my console. I used the same smart tabs you mentioned and now she is more than perfect. With 3 people on board she can cruse down to 10 knots on plain easily.

The down side of these smart tabs is that the (spring ) gas loaded cylinder inside the rubber cover is not stainless steel and it will rust shortly . They may be SMART tabs but the one who made them is not SMART at all !!!!

• 2 months later...

I think this will be the last update for this thread.  I just wanted to thank everyone for helping out this novice boatbuilder... Happy Days is a better boat because of it.

After using the boat a few times, I realized that it had some bad characteristics in the ride department.  My boat, when loaded with three people - 2 sitting on the drivers seat and one on the front of the console - had a hard time getting out of the hole and up on plane.  It eventually made it but it was slow.  Once on step, it porpoised and pounded if the boat was moving above 24 mph.  It was also hard to maintain one speed as the boat wanted to plow or fly across the water... there was no middle ground - I was always tweaking the throttle.

I'm not one to use band-aids to cover up issues but I found something that might help fellow Marissa owners.  Not wanting to spend $500+ for trim tabs, I bought a set of Smart Tabs for about $130.00.  These are spring-loaded trim tab-looking devices that mount on the transom.  They made a huge improvement in all the problem areas mentioned above.  I was amazed.

If your Marrissa has any of the bad habits that I mention above, you might want to consider the Smart Tabs:  http://nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX_automatic_trim_tabs.htm

Hi Mike, I'm new to this site, but I really like this boat kit.

With regard to the porpoising and pounding that you mention, I was wondering if your engine has power trim. I thought that one should be able to correct much of the type of ride qualities you mention with being active with the power trim at different hull speeds.

Thanks for this great blog. It will be so helpful if I do decide on building the Marissa.

• 9 months later...

so jealous, i am about 1/2 way through my from scratch build of the marissa ... started in 2012... but alas got a shift change that took way more time from my build the day after i received the blue prints to start the build.. on the bright side i was able to purchase all the toys, motor, material and piss the wife off with the clutter.   Glad to see some of us got finished... hoping to have my hull glassed in this week and the graphite covering on the bottom this week.  wish me luck.