Sewing skin using welting cord and then the thread snapped.

Hobartian

I was quite pleased with my first attempt at sewing the polyester skin on my kayak.    I sewed along the top seam for a couple of feet and then I snapped the thread.

I  undid a number of stitches and tied a new piece of thread onto the end of the snapped piece.   However this did not work as the knot would not pass through the fabric and I could not tension the stitches leading up to the knot. 

With your vast experience Kudzu I expect you have a workable solution to this problem and I would very much appreciate your advice.

Yea, it happens. I back up a few stitches, then stitch it though the same holes several times and tie it off. Then I will start with new thread, tie if off and keep stitching.  I have never had much luck splicing thread together without the knot being too large.

And as a side note, I have been looking for a better thread for a while and I think I may have just found a source for a braided thread in small lengths. I can find spools of 300+ feet but you only need 30-40 feet to sew a kayak. I have a big spool of something similar I have been using in the shop for a while now that I really like. But finding a mill that makes and sells in small spools has been very hard.

I invented seven new swears while figuring out the two cord breakage debacle on my porch. My eventual solution was a too big needle, and pulling a few stitches at a time. So far, so good. It is nice and snug, and very simple once you get the knack.

I, too, am using kite string. Mine was just in the kite box. It has flown a BIG kite in dumb weather, so I think it should do. Too bad I'm painting my boat, though, because it's red!

I'll post pics later when I get the butt sewn up...