Poison Kayak Colors

bwhip

I found this on youtube. This gentleman painted his SOF kayak like a poison dart frog. After seeing this, I researched these little guys, and they come in a huge variety of colors. Very pretty, and you'll be protected from alligators and other large predators.

poisonfrogkayak_zps17f18748.png

My wife likes this one. I might try a simplified version on my Ravenswood build.

frog_zps4c4e288d.png

In my neck of the woods the top predator are great white sharks. Water is relatively cold, so no sea snakes or poison dart frogs. Sharky wouldn't know what one was if he saw one :D . Interestingly, white sharks seem to have an attraction for yellow...so much so that divers and surfers refer to it as " yum yum yellow".

You could use an orca paint scheme. That oughta scare the sharks . . . but then you might attract unwanted attention during whale mating season.

I don't know what's worse, an attack by a white shark, or an orca attempting to mate with my kayak.  :huh:

• Like 1

You guys should be more concerned with being attacked by a cow than a shark.  :P

http://www.wisegeek.com/which-causes-more-deaths-cow-attacks-or-shark-attacks.htm

I'm not worried about it at all, frankly. Although there are a couple of local places I will not swim or paddle at certain times of the year. These are spots that have had fairly regular attacks over the last couple of decades.

Once a white shark gets to be 20 feet long, they'll eat anything they want. Most sharks are pretty leery of sharks and squids, though.

When I used to live way up at the top of California, where you surf in a hood, booties, and gloves, we saw a dead orca on the beach. Something with a big mouth and sharp teeth was eating it...

Tim Severin, in The Brendan Voyage, tells about a pod of orca whales that were rubbing on their boat's hull like big house cats. They were in a skin on frame sailboat in the arctic... Maybe an orca scheme could get you lucky!

Hiralonde, a lady got trampled by a cow on a bicycle hereabouts a year or so ago. Ranging cattle in the foothills crossing a road stampeded her. Most people are unaware of how fast cows can run, especially downhill.

These two areas are within a 1/2 drive of me. I stay out of the water here from late July 'til about late November. There are numerous seals and sea lions in both places, and several white shark attacks have occurred, a couple of them fatal. I do paddle inside Tomales Bay year round though...whites generally don't enter estuarine waters. 

TomalesBayGoogleMaps_zps34ad62ce.jpg

I kayak fish offshore both north and south of Brisbane in Australia along with a number of other dedicated kayak fisherfolk. Most of us own a Sharkshield but can't say I use it all that often though it does come out with me. There are some areas (Fraser Island for example) where I would not go out without it on. A couple of guys have said they've seen sharks go nuts after they've been hooked and pulled into range. I've no doubt it would not stop a raging white coming at your with speed from below but might make them change their mind quickly enough. I've accidentally grabbed the antennae on mine when on and it gives you a good zapping. 

More than anything it gives peace of mind. How it would go on an orca? 

Color me jealous. I feel the coast tug at my soul. You can't scramble up a goat trail and catch a trout out of an alpine stream on the coast, though.

Still, the surf calls...

No, but you can catch 30 lb Chinook salmon and 10 lb steelhead here  :)

I kayak fish offshore both north and south of Brisbane in Australia along with a number of other dedicated kayak fisherfolk. Most of us own a Sharkshield but can't say I use it all that often though it does come out with me. There are some areas (Fraser Island for example) where I would not go out without it on. A couple of guys have said they've seen sharks go nuts after they've been hooked and pulled into range. I've no doubt it would not stop a raging white coming at your with speed from below but might make them change their mind quickly enough. I've accidentally grabbed the antennae on mine when on and it gives you a good zapping. 

More than anything it gives peace of mind. How it would go on an orca? 

Whites are the only ones to worry about in my area, and I dunno if it would stop one in full charge. As for orcas, there are no documented attacks upon humans by wild ones, and they just aren't something to worry about. If you see them up close in the wild, you've had a great day!

I dunno. Most white shark attacks on humans occur in water with poor visibility. They swim near the bottom, looking for prey on the surface. Often all that they can see is a dark silhouette, regardless of color. I sure as hell ain't gonna test it :)

• 2 weeks later...