Help me with Trip Planning

Bcone1381

This weekend my 20 year old son and I are taking a trip to Algonquin Provincial Park.   Algonquin is a Canadian canoe camping Mecca with a plethora of lakes interconnected by portage trails.  We will base our camp at a campground, and go out on two nice long day trips.  

The day trips I am considering are about 30 miles each and have 10-15 portages.

I have some outstanding maps with awesome detail.  They are designed for canoeist.  Backwards engineering tells me they figure their predicted times based on a speed of 4.75km/hr.  (or 2.95 statue miles per hour).   This makes them 13 hour trips.  

My son's health surpasses mine, and I run everyday accumulating in 60-80 miles a month. My 5K time last month was 23:00.  So, I am thinking our leisurely paddle and portage time will be faster than a canoe loaded with gear.  We will be paddling a 35 lb. Cast-a-way, and a 29 lb. Ravenswood with no camping gear.

Based on this information, can we count on a speed of 4 mph and maintain enjoyment?    I have never done a time/speed/distance calculation.

Based on this information, can we count on a speed of 4 mph and maintain enjoyment?    I have never done a time/speed/distance calculation.

4 mph is a pretty good speed and probably to high for a Cast Away to maintain for hours on end. 2.5mph to maybe 3 mph is probably more realistic unless your one of a few that paddle hard all the time.  Most paddlers paddle 2.5-3 mph just out paddling. It takes a more athletic, stronger and motivated person to maintain a 4 mph or higher clip. To maintain that for 2-3 days for the AVERAGE paddler would be quite an accomplishment.

PS  If you have a smart phone, download an app like Ulysse Speedometer, start it and put it in a dry box and go paddling.  When you get back check your average speed.  I think you may be surprised.

I agree with Jeff in the previous post.  Maintaining a 4 mph pace for 30 miles is in the realm of a serious amateur paddler that has built up to that speed and distance over time.  Can it be done  - absolutely, but it is generally not going to be something that the average weekend paddler will achieve.

Ralph