Introducing MalwareBytes 3.0 (affiliate link)
Adios

Ocracoke 24, Lucky#13

Kennneee    9

Looks great John!! Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go. I am a few steps behind you as I build my OB26.  Nice to have  some inspiration!

Ken

Thrillsbe    62

Looks gorgeous.  Yeah, heavier glass does drink up the resin. And when I grow up, I'm gonna use peel-ply.  Why didn't I….?  Aw, never mind.

Adios    0

Sorry, somehow i"m lacking on the side shot view.

Since my last post, I've done all fillet joints and glassing below the waterline. Slow going and not very fun but a good hurdle to clear.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Adios    0

I need some advice, though.

I did not anticipate that the distance between the aft bulkhead and the transom would be so large, 31' in the centerline.

my plan is to cut out the above deck portion of the bulkhead and move it aft so that it would be easy to reach or climb over the transom while fishing/swimming, etc.

I would probably widen it in the centerline to accommodate a fishbox or livewell, too.

any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated.

thanks

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

smccormick    18

Are you still going with a bracket mounted engine?  There's a lot of ways to finish that up depending on your use, expectations and aesthetics.  I like plenty of toe space at the transom so when leaning against the bolster i'm not angled any more overboard than I have to be, so I wouldn't put a bulkhead at the transom.  Others want storage and mechanical systems space back there, so they determine the machinery and layout then build to house it with room for maintenance.

Here's a couple of cockpits transoms laid out the way I prefer them .  Even though these are much larger boats they still incorporate functional design that can be adapted.   These all have tuna doors rather than storage.67_Custom_Mark_Willis_Cockpit_2.thumb.jpg.2bdcd65f1a0571e815e4561e248627a2.jpg

596b76aa66e8a_Cockpitwithstorage.thumb.jpg.e9dd9fc00d0c1732789214138cc9ba19.jpg

596b76a575c93_4CaboCockpit.jpg.bfca7c3020e21ef9b2c91bc09bfa2831.jpg

Adios    0

I was thinking of something  like your second photo. I do want room for mechanical and bilge access and some storage. I was thinking of moving the bulkhead back to perhaps 12-14" from the transom so that I could have storage space on either side of the livewell/fishbox. Also, I might raise this off of the deck 4-6" to allow for the toe space that you mentioned. The plan is for a 200 yamaha on an armstrong bracket/swim platform. The door is appealing but I would be afraid of unacceptably weakening the transom.

I love the teak. I will do teak deck and combing boards if costs allow. I really want it to look like a scaled down version of the classic big sportfisher

Kennneee    9

Nice work John!  I know the feeling of being a bit burned out on fiberglassing!  Are you planning to tape the bulkheads and transom above the bottom stringer height?

Ken

Adios    0

Yes, I will glass the inside of the transom and bulkheads and tape the joints. The next step for me is figuring out the redesign of the transom layout. I still have to go back and clean up limber holes, sand and put on another coat of epoxy on the entire bilge. Yuk!

Kennneee    9

John- we are in exactly the same place.  I have just a little bit of glass work left and had to do something fun. Decided to build the cabin and go back to the epoxy/Glass another day. Why do today what you can put off...

IMG_1769.JPG

Adios    0

Jay,

I'm in Brickyard Plantation building in my garage. Tight fit. Glassing the sole in more sensible and it may come to that.Teak is so beautiful though. Stupid expensive!

Kennneee,

Beautiful Work!  I have to take a break from the glass busy work and do something that looks a bit more like progress. Is that the outer banks and do you have a thread going? where's the link?