Well, it eliminates having to buy a trailer ....

Frank Hagan

My Grandpa already did it - Well, it isn't really a homebuilt but it can carry more bikinis. And he personally drove it through 10 ft surf :)

I used to own a little Datsun 1200 and I really wanted to make a fold-out pontoon trailer that I could drive onto and use the car's engine to drive a prop.  I sketched up some concepts showing the drive system and a way to connect the rudder to the car steering.  All these years later I still think it would have worked if I'd had the money and skills (and it wouldn't have been that much money).  Maybe I should make one for my Ford Courier - No way I'll get the clearance to do it for my Wife's Alfa :D (It doesn't have a trailer hitch anyway).

"Don't know where you guys have been. The Amphicar was in production years ago..."

But Chick, the Amphicar was from the 60's - The Lark 5 was from the 50's.  And now that I think of it, Half-safe is from the 40's. http://members.iinet.net.au/~daveb/halfsafe/halfsafe.html

I don't know why I've never dropped by the school to see Half-Safe - It's less than 20 miles from my house.

I've stumbled across an Amphicar a few times on the road but never on the water yet.