Started my Firefly build

lisian

Took the Kayak out for a test paddle the other day, even though it is not finished. Loved it, it is so much quicker and nicer to handle than the Stonefly Canoe I made :)

I had a bit of fun with some colour on this one. Still have to work out my deck lines etc and do a few more things to it.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Kids had fun with me pushing them around in the water that was only about a foot deep.

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

P Douglass, I do believe I will be moving away from the SOF for my next boat but I will definitely be back making more. I love the skin on frame design. My next en devour is to make a Chesapeake 10' or 12' Wood duck hybrid. I really want to try my hand at the strip plank deck :)

• 2 months later...

So I was stuck on what to build next, so I decided to make a mini version of the Stonefly Canoe for my kids. I made the design up myself with inspiration from the smaller frames in the stonefly cut down and modified to suit my needs, along with a very similar shape to the bow and stern pieces. Everything was just winging it as I went along, I made the frames and then moved them around till I got a nice smooth shape. I had intended to do the gunwales 1/2" thick but I had to take that down to 5/16" to get the curve. It is approx 7'6" long. I made sure it has some rocker I think you call it along the length of the boat.

Anyways I got to skin the boat today and get 3 coats of paint on, so hopefully by the weekend I will be able to get it on the water and let the kids have a turn. (In very shallow water within arms reach.)

It looks like it will sit in the water ok, so I am really hoping that it will!

Jeff, I hope it is ok that I took such inspiration from the Stonefly as it really is a good looking boat.

20141125_131808.jpg

20141125_164801.jpg

20141128_164701.jpg

20141220_164559.jpg

20141220_164641.jpg

20141220_165056.jpg

20150108_140435.jpg

20150108_140456.jpg

I will put some pics up when I get a chance, the kids have a couple of outings in the canoe now and they LOVE it!! :) I have also convinced my husband for storage reasons it need to be hung on the lounge room wall. So he has to put up a few brackets so I can store it in the house.