Started my Firefly build

lisian

Jeff, I have a question. You know the two small pieces on the plans that help to hold up the coaming, I don't know what they are called and I cannot upload any photos or share any links at the moment. The forum won't let me. Anyway I remember reading somewhere that you hardly use these now? Do I need put them to help support my coaming??

My Coaming is made of laminated cedar about 1/4 inch thick, then it has timber blocks glued all around that are about 3/8 inch square and then the smaller outer ring laminated on that is about 3/8 inch wide. Will I need these two pieces of ply to help support it? I have used titebond 3 to and epoxy to glue all this and I plan on coating the whole thing in epoxy once finished :)

Action Tiger, I plan to start skinning on the weekend or next week sometime, hopefully be finished in 2 or 3 weeks, fingers crossed :) Can't wait, took the canoe out on the weekend with the kids, made the mistake of making them a paddle. I don't know how many times the little one almost hit me in the head with it and decided that he liked to see how far he could get it in the water to try and spear fish.

This idea intrigues me. How would you attach these frame/knees after skinning. If you were concerned about your coaming flexing a bit. Ahem...

Mind you, measuring and fitting is not my concern. Are they lashed in? To what? How, if you already skinned it?

Thanks, and sorry for the side track.

Lisa, my kids are proof that canoes are wonderful places to raise children.

IMG_21451.jpg

My timber adjustable foot rest, copied the design out of a friends fiberglass kayak, the plywood just slips out and can be moved along to any of the slots.

IMG_21441.jpg

The coaming as of today, still lots and lots of hours of sanding to go.

cid_C7A0E3096837475E99BBC23256239C17TEAM

cid_A7CCFF2D04894A9381489D61AC584A51TEAM

Woodman -  Thanks for the pic helped me get my head around it :)

Jeff -  There is no flex at all in my coaming, but I have decided to put the supports in anyway. I had to make some new ones today as the the ones I had made, even though I cut them oversize were not tall enough to reach up to the coaming and there is no way I can bend it down to meet them :)

Action Tiger - My daughter who is 7 is already hassling me to make her a kayak ;) It is good incentive for her to learn become a stronger swimmer as she knows once she can swim the length of the pool I will consider it. Even though they wear a life jacket I think she needs to be a bit bigger yet.

My next project will be a 10' Dinghy Pram with bent ribs etc out of Robert Morris' book, Building Skin On Frame Boats. That way both the kids can go in it at the same time, may even attach a little electric motor to it to scoot around. 

I never new that the kayaks were designed for the heel to rest on the fabric.  Although I always liked the way the raw fabric felt on my feet, I usually have taken a 12 inch x 6 inch piece of foam with me to rest my heels on to eliminate possible fabric wear.  When I place this foam in the boat, I always think to myself that I should fabricate a piece that looks right and fits nice.  

Well I finally got my boat skinned and I have been painting it with Marine Varnish, not entirely happy with the finish and surprised at how plastic it feels. But oh well, as long as it floats I will be happy :) The more coats I put on the better it looks, the below pics were after one coat.

IMG_22501.jpg

IMG_22621.jpg

IMG_22421.jpg

I have also been painting a friends kayak in between painting mine, he wants bright jigsaw peices, where the grey is will be lime green and where the white is around the cockpit will be blue :) We are hoping it will stay together as it was someones experiment and to our knowledge not been in the water. It is made of some kind of foam and then fiberglassed, weighing only about 25 pounds. Fingers crossed it holds together.

IMG_22711.jpg