Started my Firefly build

lisian

Well I have started my firefly, I have decided to paint the frames because I had so much trouble with my miranti ply splintering (I will never purchase this again, but I had it so had to use it). So my frames are purple and I plan on accentuating that purple with some purple stitching or deck lines. I haven't quite decided yet. The stringers etc will still all remain natural timber. I have also added some volume to the baidarka nose... I am hoping this will look good..

IMG_1823.jpg

I have also added some volume to the baidarka nose... I am hoping this will look good..

It will look better. I did this on my personal Baidarka. Spent some time shaping it to get it look like I want and was hapy with the way it turned out. Just the flat plywood never looked good to me. But I really subsribe to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) design philosophy so anyone can build my boats.

Just an FYI, Badarka frames were died red for some reason. Another one of the mysteries about Baidarkas we never know why they did it that way.

Also, if you want a more traditinal looking stern you can modify the top plate for the stern at this point. It is something I want to add to the plans as an option.

Jeff, I thought one of your baidarkas had a bit extra in the nose when I was looking through your albums :) And yup we have the KISS philosophy here in Aus too ;) I did wonder why I saw so many red framed baidarkas on the net..

Well starting to get it together today, I have no bungee cords so I am taping it together :)

10553523_10152250285072742_4483614263290

Labrat, yup it is Meranti and or Maple. My grandfather got some old door jambs for me and ripped them up. And I just had to buy a few extra bits, yup did my first scarf joints, made a jig and cut them by hand. Fingers crossed they hold, I used just enough epoxy took a bit to clean up the joints :/

I just met an Australian bloke who described himself as a petrol head.

Charming turn of phrase, and I wondered if it is a universal epithet down there? I figured you would know, with your hubby's affliction on display in your posts.

I dig the purple.

I am also bungee less, so I used short lengths of twine sized line. Adjustable, and no sticky residue...

This thing about petrol, and battery powered boats got me into paddling power....My first boat I built was a Jetski powered runabout that literally drank gasoline, draining the piggy bank ......It is bad enough to support the oil ind. to get to the water in the first place!

Lisa, keep up the good work ,glad to see you doing another build, Watch out it could become addicting!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finally made some progress. I have had sick kids these last few weeks. Managed to get my Kayak off the string back today, and also took it for a test paddle on the grass :lol:

I thinking of painting it in an aged look varnish and then doing some form of tribal/indigenous style artwork on it, incorporating the purple I used on the frames.

Lisa.

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_20091.jpg

I have been working on my coaming, I have made a laminated ring with some cedar and then I am going to glue these different coloured timbers around the outside of the ring.  Timbers in this are different kinds/colours of cedar, maple and silky oak :) I love the different colours in the timbers.

The vertical stave coaming deal is common on strip/glass kayaks. It looks neat.

You realize purple is the color of Caesars, right?  Very regal.

For your kayak, instead of an arctic style throwing stick (atlatl), you can make a woomera. The first people down there made lovely throwing sticks...

You are going to have to keep building boats until you do a green and gold one.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, well I have had a month of someone being sick in the house any given time, so there has not been a lot of Kayak action. But all better now so I have been getting stuck into it again.

I have been working on my coaming and installing an adjustable timber footrest.

I am however having troubles uploading photo's and it wont let me :(