And we have a winner!

Kudzu

10487345_10152571235798637_2103409407718

Not a great image but I think I finally have the new design I have been looking for.  Multi-chined with Greenland styling. I call this a Greenland-ish boat.  Don't ask me specs because all I can remember is it is 17' long. Stability is just every so slightly less than say Long Shot or Curlew.

Resistance is right in there with the Short Shot. I have tried many designs and I keep coming back to the Long Shot and Short Shot hulls for inspiration. I just can't seem to improve on those.

I am finally happy with this one and working out the details now. Hope to start drawing out the frames this week. I want to build a prototype for the fall trip to the Chesapeake Bay!

No, just created that one really quickly. Started working on the frame, deciding how to build it.  The more I look at it I may lengthen it and increas the rake on the ends slight. That will make it look more Greenland-ish. Headed to the Chesapeake Bay to teach a class in August and would really like to take this with me. Not sure if I can find time to build it though.

10526056_10152578123583637_4467582218148

Here is a better drawing. I tweaked the styling a little bit. Mainly the stern didn't have enough rake. I was aiming at 17' length but looks are just..... maybe more important. So it got a little bit longer. Work on construction drawings now. Hoping to build in it in next week weeks and take it to the Chesapeake with me.

Does look very nice.  I'd want it painted those colors also.

Thanks, I am considering these but really unsure on what color to use. Colors and names are the hardest part for me. This is the Sheriff's car colors and I love the way they look on the their new cars. I had something really wild planed but I am not going got have time.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, 

Could you engineer all the frames to be free from the center post to allow allow better storage behind the seat?

Brooks

I was actually thinking about that last night.

Without the post because of sitting on the back deck, I have had two frames fail. They were both made from Douglas Fir plywood. Baltic Birch is much better quality and would probably stand up just fine. But I have to design assuming they will be built with Douglas Fir ply.

But for a smart, experienced builder it wouldn't be a problem to remove the brace and cut a strip that was just a friction fit between the keel and deck beam. That is how I repair a broken frame.  Then the brace could be removed and replaced as needed.  I may do that on my personal boat too. If you use float bags they will this area and I rarely put anything behind the seat anyway.

Fire Fly is designed without brace, that made me nervous ,

I added a removable brace made from a piece scrap of 5/8 x 1 WRC  on the frame behind the seat it is wedged from the center deck stringer to the keel.

I am kind of awkward getting in and out and put a lot of weight on the coaming, the brace takes the weight. I ended up gluing it in place.

There are some designs that don't have it. This is a alteration to the original design and as I find them, usually when someone orders plans, I add it if it hasn't been changed.  I really think BB ply won't faill but It is such a pain to replace that frame I don't really want to find out.

Edited by Kudzu
major typos