Painting polyester fabric

Hobartian

Hi Kudzu,

I am currently building a SOF kayak which I intend to cover with polyester fabric using your Youtube video instructions.

I  am aware that you advocate using oil based enamel to seal the skin.    Do I need to use an undercoat on the raw fabric before applying the enamel?

During the construction of the frame I can see why you recommend lashing.   It is so handy to be able to cut the lashing if you want to make an adjustment

somewhere.    Another thing I have learnt is not to try and force the gunwales together at the bow and stern.   I did so initially and when I tipped the frame upside

down to lash the keel I saw the kayak was shaped like a banana.     When I released the gunwales at each end everything straightened out.  I then did some

sanding and shimming until the gunwales came together evenly without twisting the frame.

Building a kayak is certainly interesting and I wish I had done it a long time ago!