Spindrift 10N 1" shorter?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I built a cedar strip canoe twelve years ago, and now I'd like to build a small sailing dinghy. I'd like to build Spindrift 10N, but I see it's nested length is 5' 1" and the box on my truck is 5' long. Is there an easy way to reduce the nested length by 1"?

The 10N fits great in every other aspect, but for the sake of 1" it would be nice to close the box.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you need to take an inch off the stern section, then you will need to take an inch off the bow so it still nests. I'd almost bet that this could be done without much fanfare, but I'd check with Graham first. It would be simple to subtract 2" off the bottom and sides, and move the bulkheads forward and inch, and make some adjustments. This type of boatbuilding is not quite as "precise" as traditional, and with a bit of thought, I think its surely possible. I can't think that moving the centerboard in essence an inch forward would have serious ill effects on trim.

Have you given any thought to building the non-nested version and just leave the bow hanging out the back? 

Take Care,

Steve  

Thanks Steve.  I would want to make sure it nested, and lined up properly.  I think there are ptifalls if it's not done properly.

I've now realised I could just multiply all the dimensions by 0.98.  I have thought about letting the boat hang out the back - it would extend about 3.5' past the end of the tailgate - fairly far but not outrageous, and I haven't completely ruled out that option.  One thing I like about the nesting option is the ease of carrying one half of the boat at a time down to a put in spot.  It's my intention to use the boat for exploring and fishing at various lakes in the interior, and they don't all have organized put-ins.  I have an old bike trailer that I may try to convert to boat carrier, and may attempt some canoe routes with short portage trails too.

I've read about the different seat set up, but are you aware of any other drawbacks to the nesting option?

I wouldn't try to push you one way or another, but here are a few additional drawbacks.

- Flotation. I'm convinced the nesting version has much less.

- That bulk head in the middle means two places to bail when the going gets rough. I've actually thought about putting an elevated floor in the Suzy J forward so water shipping over the bow would just run into the aft compartment, and I would have more flotation.

- Longer build time- I spent a lot of time futzing with the bulkheads and then cutting it apart, etc., compared to the time I spent on the rear seats.  

- I don't take mine apart much. I thought handling the individual halves would be easier than I thought, but I made a little clamp on set of wheel that lets me walk the boat around upside down. I do love the fact it sits in my basement nested against a wall all winter.

All that said, the Suzy J is a witch sailing. Points well, and has great manners.

Take Care,

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, I like your idea of the raised deck , and maybe even self bailing for the whole boat. I've just seen some pictures of the PT 11, from Port Townsend boats - it has a raised front deck which would shed water into the rear section so you would have to bale only one section. It looks like a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk